Thursday, November 8, 2012

I Jumped

Back in July, which seems like forever ago, I posted that I had submitted my application to become a Weight Watcher’s Leader. The post was about taking risks and challenging yourself to try something new. If you missed it, click here.
Well, this past Tuesday night I took that jump AND I lived to tell about it. The week leading up to my first meeting was such a monkey on my back. As a matter of fact, when I was prepping for my meeting, I had mentioned to my husband that I was going to wear our son’s stuffed monkey on my back to the meeting and make a little joke about it. I thought it might be a good ice breaker, but he said I might want to tone it down a bit.
The day of the meeting I went into full panic mode. I started to think about what tragic event I would need to conjure up to get out of it. I mean seriously, don’t put anything past me. In elementary school, I was a chubby kid and I DREADED field day. A whole day dedicated to athleticism and sportsmanship- who needs it! So what did I do? I rubbed poison ivy leaves all over my body (I kid you not) in hopes to get out of field day, and did I ever! As it turns out, I was allergic. By the time that poison ivy was done with me, there wasn’t a part of my body that was spared. My eyes and throat swelled closed,  even my more private areas didn’t find safety. I ended up in the ER and got a few shots, but hey, I missed field day. Too drastic?
As I was driving to the meeting center, I considered a poison ivy regimen, but it was too late in the game for that- drats! How on earth was I going to get out of this? Food poisoning? A minor fender bender? A slip and fall? Argh, none of those ideas sounded rational. Yet who needs rational in a time of panic? I did. So I turned to the one person who never fails- the big man above.
Earlier in the week, I was watching Pastor Joel Osteen on OWN (yep still getting my Oprah fix). Now whether you like Pastor Osteen or you think he’s an over hyped televangelist, he’s got some good things to say. And one of the things he said that stuck with me is this-
 “it takes just as much energy to worry as it does to believe”.
Hollah! Why on earth was I worrying and stressing when I could simply believe that everything was going to be OK? Having faith (in God, in yourself, in others) is such a gift. If I believe that God has a plan for me (and I do), and that everything in my life has led up to this very moment and has prepared me for this path (and it has), why on earth was I in such a tizzy?
Although I was so nervous I thought I might- a) pass out or b) throw up or c) poop my pants, I started to calm myself down with prayer and deep gulps of breath.
What’s the worst that can happen? If this were my kids preparing for a big event, what would I tell them?
I was made to be a Weight Watcher’s leader.
I want to help others change their lives, one small step at a time.
My desire to help others far surpasses my fears and self-doubts.
God has prepared me for this day.
So then, after whining to my husband one last time---I gathered my wits, grabbed my materials and walked through those Weight Watcher’s meeting room doors.
Thanks to my family, friends and readers, for coming along on this journey with me, for encouraging me to take this jump. I can’t wait to share with you how the meeting went.
So come back next week and check out my post “C’mon in, the water’s fine”.
Ask for help. Make the choice. Commit to the choice. Continue with courage.
Hugs and friendship,
Tara

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad I wasn't drinking anything when I read this, otherwise I'd have spewed it all over the screen when I read about the poison ivy! :)

    I know you did a fabulous job and I can hardly wait to read the next installment!

    ReplyDelete