Thursday, November 29, 2012

Hi-bear-nation

Right about this time of year, I turn into a grumpy bear that would rather be wearing my pajamas, snuggled under my covers than going outside. I start to gather up food and fill my tummy for the winter and so begins my hi-bear-nation.
I don’t know about you, but I find this to be my most challenging time of year to stick to a wellness plan.  When I’m cold, I feel the need to eat, mostly carbs. I’m sure there is some scientific or psychological explanation for this. My favorite summer fruits are out of season and even the veggies seem lackluster. It’s tougher to get outside to exercise because it gets dark at 5pm. And don’t even get me started on the holidays- the pace, the gatherings centered around food, the stress and exhaustion. No wonder I’m feeling grumpy. I can see why so many people abandon their wellness programs this time of year only to get back to them in the spring when that “oh my gosh I have to show my skin” or the “oh crap my shorts don’t fit” moment comes about.
Fellow hi-bear-nators, don’t dismay, for today I’d like to share with you one of my secret weapons I use to burst right through this season feeling energized, focused and in control. This secret weapon is free and you already have it- it’s your mind.  
Your mind is a mighty and powerful weapon. I’ve posted before that making life change is not about willpower, it’s about mind power. It’s about making up your mind to make a change and then using that brilliant noggin of yours to take actions that support the change. Today I want to talk about using your mind to identify and overcome hunger.
This time of year, I come down with what I like to call Yogi Bear Syndrome. We’ll call it YBS for short.  I’m foraging through the stores or my cabinet, looking for that next delicious pic-i-nic basket.  And like Yogi, I become obsessed by it and I’ll do any crazy antic to get past Ranger Rick and eat what I want.  When I’m caught up in my YBS, I don’t even realize that I’m not hungry.

YBS (while I must put a disclaimer here that it’s not a real syndrome J) can take over your mind. It tells you you’re hungry and you need more, more, more food…but you’re not and you don’t.  When this happens, it’s time to go from Yogi to more of a Boo-Boo. You know, Yogi’s best friend who’s always trying to talk some sense into him “well, I don’t know Yogi…that seems kind of…ah…dangerous”.
Use your mind to start listening to your body. Are you truly hungry? Has it been a while since you’ve eaten? Do you need energy and fuel? Does your stomach feel empty?
Or is there a different reason for your hunger? Are you bored? Tired? Stressed? Anxious? Angry? Depressed? Lonely?
Listen to your body. Are you feeding your feelings instead of fueling your body?
The first thing I do when I’m feeling hungry is stop and think. Most times, after I stop and ask myself the questions above, I realize that I’m not really hungry. Yet realizing that I’m not hungry doesn’t automatically stop me from eating. Wouldn’t it be great if it was that easy- “hey brain, I just discovered I’m not hungry so let’s move along with our day, no need to eat”. If only!!!
Here are a few things I do to hold off my hunger:
  • I drink a filling low calorie beverage, for me it’s usually a glass of water. This time of year hot tea is great, it takes some time to drink, goes down slow and fills you up with warmth.
  • I get my body moving. Often my desire to eat comes when I’m bored and most likely in front of the TV. That’s the perfect time to get moving.  If you’re stuck inside and don’t have any fitness equipment, there are a ton of free fitness videos online, even on YouTube. Use your stairs for cardio, grab two bottles of water for weights. I find the hardest part is just getting off the couch, and once I’m up, it feels good to get moving.  
  • I get my mind moving. Crossword puzzles, Sudoku, scrap booking, knitting, journalling or playing Words with Friends are such a great distractions. I also love falling into a good book. It takes my mind to another world and it keeps my hands full of pages instead of food (yes I still read real paper books).
  • I reach for a fruit, vegetable or low calorie snack.  Fruits and veggies are loaded with nutrients and fiber that keep you fuller longer.
  • Lastly, if I’ve exhausted all other options, I eat what I’m craving. Maybe that’s not the mind-changing answer you were expecting but life is about living. And my life is about eating all things in moderation. Sometimes, I just want a slice of apple crumb pie. But instead of eating the whole pie, I have a slice.
I can’t tell you how important it is to remember how powerful your mind can be, especially this time of year. Don’t just think about what you’re eating, but WHY you are eating it.
Don’t hi-bear-nate, celebrate! Celebrate your power. Celebrate your courage. Celebrate this season.
Celebrate that you are taking steps toward a new and healthier you!
Ask for help. Make the choice. Commit to the choice. Continue with courage.
Hugs and friendship,
Tara

No comments:

Post a Comment