Monday, November 19, 2012

Guatemala Reflection #4: Gratitude

I’ve been saving my final Guatemala reflection on gratitude for Thanksgiving week. How clever, writing about gratitude on Thanksgiving, you’re welcome. J
Believe it or not, I’ve been struggling with this post. I could certainly write page after page about how my experience in Guatemala has made me much more appreciative of…well…everything. It’s pretty difficult to come back unchanged after visiting a place where people live in sugar cane shacks with tin roofs, in conditions that you just cannot fathom until you’re standing in the middle of them. And even then, you leave those conditions behind, coming home to what we consider everyday conveniences and what they would consider unimaginable luxuries- plumbing, HVAC, electric, paved roads, modern medicine, grocery stores and access to health care.
Truthfully, even five months after the trip, it’s extremely hard to reconcile how blessed we are versus other countries in the world. I wonder what those Guatemalan families would think of the never-ending gourmet selections at Wegman’s or the madness that is about to transpire on Black Friday at the King of Prussia mall?  I wish that while I was there I could have had deeper conversations with the families. If I could have sat down with them, I would have talked with them about contentment. As I wrote in Guatemala Reflection #2: Abundance, I believe that those families are far wealthier than most of us in the currencies of the heart- love, joy and gratitude.
Many people right now are posting their 30 Days of Gratitude and I have looked forward to reading their posts. I think it’s such a great exercise and reminder to celebrate what we've been given. As I thought about the families we met in Guatemala, I couldn’t help but wonder how they became so genuine, kind and gracious. How do they cultivate gratitude that stems not from circumstance but from within?
So instead of sharing my 30 Days of Gratitude, I’m sharing 30 Ways of Gratitude:
1. Create a gratitude journal. Start with one item. Add something new every day for the next year.
2. Reflect on your gratitude journal at least once a day.
3. Give thanks for the bad stuff too, it’s an integral part of what shapes who you are.
4. Inhale and exhale slowly and deeply. Feel the gift of oxygen filling your lungs, pumping through your heart.  You’re alive! Ain't that something?
5. Love without conditions.
6. Slow down.
7. Do something ridiculously fun.
The other day I saw some kids rolling down a hill into a pile of leaves. Remember how fun that used to be? I sat there for a few minutes soaking in their joy. Hope their parents didn’t think I was a stalker. J
8. Open your eyes to the beauty of nature that surrounds you.
9. Smile at stranger. Smiles are a free gift worth sharing.
10. Meet yourself exactly where you are and start from there.
11. Bask in the warmth of the sun as it shines over you.
12. Offer and accept apologies.
13. Remember that someone will always be better and worse off than you.
14. Love someone who is hard to love.
15. Forgive yourself.
16. When you’re tired, rest.
17. Make every day a celebration.
18. Open yourself to new experiences.  
19. Tell your loved ones why they are so special.  
20.  Break free from cycles of the past, they don’t and won’t define you.
21. You only get one body, love and take care of it.
22. See the value in everyone around you.
23. Redefine wealth.
24. Compliment someone- it might be the first nice thing they’ve heard all day.
25. Always give credit where it’s due.
26. Put people first on your “to do” list.
27. Make sure you’re measuring up to your standards, not everyone else’s.
28. Understand the difference between knowledge and wisdom.
29. Give whole-hearted hugs.
30. If you get stuck, go back to #1.  
Happy Thanksgiving!
Ask for help. Make the choice. Commit to the choice. Continue with courage.
Hugs and friendship,
Tara

No comments:

Post a Comment