Sunday, November 18, 2012

Lumps are for Potatoes, Not Breasts

That’s right you read correctly, lumps are for potatoes, not breasts. Well, truth be told, I like my potatoes smooth and creamy, but if push comes to shove, I’ll take lumps in my potatoes over my breasts any day!
A few weeks ago I went to my GYN because I was having constant pain and soreness in my left breast. Upon examination, she found a series of little lumps. This led to a mammogram and ultrasound to check things out. And oh what fun that is! As I sat in the Phoenixville hospital, anxiously awaiting my results, several things came to mind.
My Mom. My Mom died at age 31 from Hodgekin’s Lymphoma which had spread to her breasts and other parts of her body. Back in the early 80’s can-cer (as whispered in the movie St. Elmo’s Fire) was something there wasn’t a lot of research about nor were there many cures. So as I sat there in my over-exposed state, I gave a little shout out to my Mom and how much I missed her. I also gave thanks for how far we’ve come with cancer prevention and treatment and how many lives are saved each year.
Cancer survivors. The weeks leading up to my tests I was so scared and while I tried not to worry, I still did. I know some truly incredible cancer survivors. I can’t imagine the hell that they and their families went through during that time. They are my absolute heroes. One of my colleagues is going through cancer right now. I don’t know him well, because we work virtually and he has been sick since I started with the company but his wife writes this amazing blog. It’s candid, heart-wrenching, funny, painful and inspiring. One of my favorites is titled “Dear Cancer, I Hate You and I Thank You”, to read more click here. In this particular blog, she writes that we should do epic shit, because it matters. Even though I’ve never met her, her words touched me, even as I sat in the hospital waiting room.
My health. As I sat waiting for the doctor to come out and talk to me about my results, I couldn’t help but to give thanks for my good health. I thought to myself “if this is a not-so-good diagnosis, at least I’m facing it with my best foot forward”.  I am sincerely grateful that I am well. I am emotionally and physically fit. Not like six pack abs fit, but you know what I mean---healthy. Healthy organs and muscles. Healthy blood pressure and cholesterol.   Healthy mind and spirit. I am in a good place. I feel energized, happy and continue to count my blessings every single day.
The good news? My tests results came back free and clear and my diagnosis can be treated with vitamin E and a few other regimens. Excuse me while I whine for a brief moment about the fact that one of those other regimens is reducing chocolate AND caffeine. There are some things a girl just can’t live without…we’ll see.
Life is precious, don’t waste what you've been given.   
Give thanks for where you are in your wellness journey and take another step forward. 
Take one small step at a time and before you know it, you'll be amazed at how far you've come.
Ask for help. Make the choice. Commit to the choice. Continue with courage.
Hugs and friendship,
Tara

No comments:

Post a Comment