Saturday, November 24, 2012

Happy Heart

It’s the most wonderful time of the year! There’ll be much mistltoeing and hearts will be glowing…when loved ones are near! It’s the most wonderful time of the year!
I was in Macy’s the other day…shifting impatiently in line…because I was SOO hot…seriously about to have a heat stroke…eyeing up the Macy’s-branded bottle of water they sell at the register for like $10…  thinking I might just pay it because I was soooo hot and thirsty…and when I finally got to the register I said to the clerk “My g’awd! How can you stand it in here? It’s SO hot and Christmas music! Really?!? Hearing the same songs over and over again…doesn’t it make you want to shoot yourself?”
It was clearly not my most grace-filled moment. Somehow my inner monologue rolled right off my tongue. My dry, thirsty, tongue! It’s nuts watching all of those Black Friday videos on the news of people acting like crazed maniacs all to get the best deal on THE perfect gift for someone who might not even want said gift and most likely will forget about said gift in six months’ time. And there I was, being unkind and not-so-gracious to a poor clerk that was doing his best to keep calm amidst the chaos.  
Why is it that we get so jacked up over the holidays? From Halloween through New Year’s we run, run, run, so fast and so hard that we don’t even slow down enjoy it. Our “to do” lists multiply as we cross things off and it feels like only Santa himself can whip up some Christmas magic to help us get it all done. And during this time, what is it that goes to the very bottom of our “to do” list? We do. Our emotional and physical wellness becomes as frayed as our favorite Christmas sweater.
Not to put you in a panic, but there are 31 days left until Christmas day. The good news? That’s 31 days that you can put yourself at the top of your “to do” list--- your heart will thank you.

A few weeks ago, my sis in law posted this note on Facebook and I loved it. “Went to the gym and did my cardio then I walked 3 miles! It's not about weight loss, it's about heart gain! My heart is smiling!!
I love, love, love the idea of thinking about exercise during this most wonderful time of the year, not as a burden, but as a way to make my heart smile. Here are a few more good reasons to exercise during this holiday season. You can:
·         Control your weight
·         Reduce your risk of cardiovascular disease
·         Reduce your risk for type 2 diabetes and metabolic syndrome
·         Reduce your risk of some cancers
·         Strengthen your bones and muscles
·         Improve your mental health and mood
·         Improve your ability to do daily activities and prevent falls (if you’re an older adult)
·         Increase your chances of living longer
To learn more, check out this article from the CDC: Benefits of Physical Activity .
I hope these are some compelling reasons for you to lace up those sneaks and put yourself at the top of your “to do” list this holiday season.
The gift of good health is a free gift you can give yourself! And the next time you see your reflection in that store window display, you might just see a lighter, brighter you!
Ask for help. Make the choice. Commit to the choice. Continue with courage.
Hugs and friendship,
Tara

No comments:

Post a Comment