Sunday, July 29, 2012

Just Jump

One of the (many) things I learned in Guatemala is that I am mentally and physically capable of far more than I ever imagined. So when I got back from the trip, I started to mull over some personal and professional goals that I’ve been thinking about but have yet to take action on.
Last weekend after we dropped our son off at camp in Maryland, I vocalized a few of these goals to my husband. And he responded “just jump”. He went on to say something like this. “When faced with a pool of cold water, do you choose to jump in quickly or ease yourself down the ladder? Either way you do it, the water is still cold. You might as well just jump. Do it, get it over with. You’ll feel so much better once you do”.
My response “well, when I was a kid I didn’t like to get water up my nose so I’d have to wear nose plugs and even then I wouldn’t jump in. I’d probably just sit on the edge”. Yep, that pretty much describes me now, certainly not a risk taker. I’m cautious and over-analytical, sometimes to my own fault.
Yet this past year, and especially after Guatemala, I feel the need to be more, do more. To take action, make an impact. So after my husband and I had our goals talk, I jumped.
As I’ve mentioned in previous posts, one of my goals is to be a Weight Watcher’s Leader. Once I hit my WW Lifetime goal again, I filled out the paperwork and it sat on my desk.  I have wanted to be a Weight Watcher’s Leader for 15 years, yet I’ve never taken the final step to make it happen. Sometimes, I get locked up in my own “what ifs”.  What if I don’t know enough? What if I’m not good enough? What if people don’t respond to me? What if I fail? Have you ever been so caught up in yourself that you don’t do something you really want to do?
So I jumped. Last Monday I mailed my Weight Watcher’s paperwork and by Thursday I got a call that the Lansdale office has a potential opening. Holy cow, this is really happening! I have an interview set up for August 18th and if I make it through, training starts September 8th! Buckle your seat belts baby, it’s gonna be a wild ride.
Here’s the question folks, are you sitting at the edge of the pool, too worried about the cold water to make your move? Jump! Have you had a goal that you’ve been thinking about but are too afraid to take action? Jump! Maybe it’s a new job or a change in career? Jump! Pursuing a new friendship or re-kindling an old one. Jump! Facing your finances or a difficulty with your spouse or children. Jump! Trying a new activity or hobby. Jump! Tackling a project you’ve been putting off. Jump!
Maybe it’s walking through those Weight Watcher’s meeting doors for the first time? Or getting back to your health and wellness plan? Jump!
The reward of what can happen certainly outweighs the fear of what may.  
Ask for help. Make the choice. Commit to the choice. Continue with courage. And jump! J
Hugs and friendship,
Tara

No comments:

Post a Comment