Thursday, December 6, 2012

Begin Again

For those of you who have been at this weight loss gig for a long time, I wonder what you find more challenging- the actual weight loss or long term maintenance?
Having been on both sides of the fence, I find they’re both equally challenging. Losing and maintaining require the same amounts of commitment, endurance, planning, focus, perseverance and a positive outlook.   
For me, losing the weight slowly and maintaining for the long term has required an ongoing reinvention of myself.  
Good point Mr. Spielberg, or can I call you Steven?  Yet I kind of like the idea of a beginning that never stops beginning. Isn’t that what wellness is? Diets have beginnings and endings. Being healthy and fit for life is a beginning that never stops beginning.
Too many times I’ve watched people go on a hard core diet and most times they lose successfully. But they are so starved and deprived in the end that six months later the weight (and then some) has come back. I’ve not only watched people repeat this cycle, I’ve done it myself.
If you are losing weight currently, or have a goal to lose weight in the new year, I challenge you to take a look at your weight loss approach.  Make sure your goals are S.M.A.R.T.
·         Specific
·         Measurable
·         Achievable
·         Realistic/Relevant
·         Time bound
Replace the word “diet” with being well, getting fit or achieving good health.  
Remember that the changes you make should be maintainable for life.  
Overall wellness is a beginning that never stops beginning.  At the company I work for, when we were designing our strategic plan last year, we boiled the actions down to “how can we get better"? 
What can you do right now (not tomorrow- right NOW) to start getting better? Every day is the perfect time to begin again.
Make the choice. Commit to the choice. Ask for help. Continue with courage.
Hugs and friendship,
Tara

No comments:

Post a Comment