Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Ouch!@#$#!!

So tonight after acupuncture, my acupuncturist gave me a loaf of banana bread. And when she handed it to me she said “I didn’t want to give this to one of my clients that was trying to lose weight”.  What’s that supposed to mean? Do I look like Jabba the Hut? I mean h-e-l-l-o, I AM losing weight. KP, if you’re reading this, I still adore you, you had the best of intentions.
Words hurt. And even words said with good intentions sometimes can cut us to the core. Have you ever been in mid-conversation with someone and thought “oh shoot, that’s not exactly how I meant to say that”.  It’s not just spoken words that can hurt; the words that we think and say to ourselves can be just as damaging.     
I wonder, what kind of words are you saying to yourself on a daily basis?
The other day, I was in a department store and the nice saleslady in the store was helping me pick out clothes. I heard her say to her co-worker “let’s avoid this kind of cut for her jeans, she’s kind of thick waisted”.  Thick waisted…I thought I had heard all of the chub comments over the years… that’s a new one for me. Ouch!
When you look in the mirror, do you pick out all of your flaws? Do you criticize…your wrinkles…a notch in your nose…an ill-placed mole…feet that are too big…hair that won’t cooperate …a figure that will never be a size zero?
As I get older, the way I look at myself is changing. I am finally beginning to appreciate that I am exactly the creation that God intended me to be. He views me as perfect, just the way I am.
Looking in the mirror now, my goal is not to be skinny or to be thin. I want to be fit and healthy. I don’t need to look like everyone else; I just need to be the healthiest version of me.
What makes you beautiful?
Do you like serving others? Are you a fantastic cook?  A whiz in the garden? A loving friend? Do you excel at work? Kick butt at sports? Scrapbook like nobody’s business? Do you devote time to aging parents?
This week, I encourage you to take a fresh look at who you are. Each day, as you look in the mirror, pick out something you like about yourself- all the while remembering that your inner beauty will always shine through.
Make the choice, commit to the choice and continue with courage.
Hugs and friendship,
Tara

No comments:

Post a Comment