Saturday, April 2, 2011

Duh…winning?!?

Alright, so I’m not going to apologize for the Charlie Sheen reference. Let’s face it, this whole Charlie Sheen fiasco has been like a train wreck, painful to watch but you just can’t stop.  And while the SNL skits do make me chuckle, the whole situation is downright sad. He’s a man that is falling apart, for the  whole world to see. Have you had a moment this week where you feel like you’re coming unraveled? Maybe a few moments? But you don’t want the world to know about it because you are strong; you are woman…mighty and fierce. Well I had just that moment this week, on the Weight Watcher’s scale.
Week one back at WW, I was, in my opinion, an A+ student (and those who know me know I grade tough). I tracked my points, drank my water, choked down the fruits (not quite yet embracing the veggies), cooked healthy meals (OK, well Nate cooked the meals), and worked out HARD, six out of seven days. And do you know what the scale read? Zero. I mean really…zero…I gave better than my best effort and zero weight loss.
I was crushed and even worse…fuming, fuming, mad. I wanted to run as fast as I could out of that meeting room, why stay for the meeting when I was a big fat failure? But something inside me said “stay”, so I sat and listened, grinned and bore it, while self-berating in my head. “I might as well quit. If I did everything right and didn’t see any results, why bother? It’s just too much flipping work”.
After the meeting, I ranted and raved. I grumbled and growled around the house. I was really, REALLY ticked. And then, something pretty cool happened. I shifted gears. Usually a zero on the scale would lead to an all-day binge… maybe an all week binge or maybe an “I just give up”. But this time, I brushed myself off and got right back on program, not tomorrow…that day. I put good foods in my body and spent an hour doing some high cardio exercise to burn off that negative energy. Because I didn’t want to give the pain the power. I have the power, and the only person that can take that away from me is me.
And even if I didn’t lose on the scale this week, I consider my mental shift a big win. Remember that your wins are what you make them. Not taking that extra bite, winning. Walking an extra five minutes, winning. Taking the stairs instead of the elevator, winning. Brushing yourself off and starting again, winning. Realizing that you don’t always have to win, to win…well that’s duh…winning. J
Make the choice, commit to the choice and continue with courage.
Hugs and friendship,
Tara

No comments:

Post a Comment