Monday, April 11, 2011

Spring In My Step

During the bleak months of winter, when I think “I cannot take this weather one more day”, something wonderful happens. One day, while lying in bed, I’m not as cold as usual and what’s that I hear? It’s the birds singing. The trees are blooming. They fill the air with new and wonderful fragrance and tiny plant sprigs are popping through the ground to bask in the sun. How can you not have a spring in your step during this time of year?
I know that I do! The scale is moving in the right direction- down. I feel lighter inside and out. I’m ready to go outside and get my body moving. I remember back to when I first started Weight Watchers, way back in 1996. The idea of getting my body moving was a daunting task. When I exercised, everything hurt- my knees, ankles, back. I was carrying so much extra weight on my joints. I started walking and even then it was hard to put one foot in front of the other, I was SO tired. I remember starting with a five minute walk. And each week I gradually increased my pace until I was whipping around the neighborhood, walking 4 miles a day! That felt good!
A few weeks ago, the topic of our Weight Watcher’s meeting was yo-yo dieting. Oh yes, we’ve all been there. This is not the first or the last time we’ll be facing the fact that we’ve put on a few pounds. What really stuck with me from that meeting is how important it is to focus on the positive by learning from past experiences. Start to think about how you felt at your most fit and begin to work your way back.  You may be thinking, yeah, yeah, yeah, I’m just too busy to exercise. Well, we are ALL busy. J I’m learning that exercise doesn’t have to be an all or nothing activity. My mindset is usually that I need to hit the gym hard and have a high calorie burn for at least one full hour. Please join me in a new approach to exercise.    
If you take ten minutes before work, walk with friends at lunch, take ten minutes after work- before you know it, you’ve exercised for 30 minutes! And your morning and evening routine hasn’t suffered for it. For me, I think about the time I spend winding down in the evening, watching my favorite sit-coms…and then I realize wow, two hours have gone by and I was lazing on the couch. And yes, we all deserve a break and need the rest. But we also need to take care of ourselves.  
I challenge you this week, to get up and get moving. Spring is a time for re-birth. It’s when everything comes back to life. Such a great time for a fresh start on a new you!
Make the choice, commit to the choice and continue with courage.
Hugs and friendship,
Tara

No comments:

Post a Comment