Friday, April 27, 2012

Overcoming My (Food) Addiction

As promised, I wanted to share what I have learned during my weight loss journey from Weight Watcher’s (and many others).  
1) Acceptance. I accept that I am addicted to food. I understand that I will battle my weight for life. I recognize that I am prone to be overweight, but I don’t have to be. Acknowledging a weakness doesn’t make you more flawed, it helps light that spark needed to move beyond it.  
2) Accountability. I know that to be successful I need to be accountable to someone for my actions. I heard Rick Warren say “we are made to get well in community with each other” and that really hit home for me. I can’t do this alone. In blogging, I have made my battle public, choosing to have many people hold me accountable. In addition, my husband is my number one accountability partner. He keeps my head on straight, not just with weight loss, but with life. Whether you choose one person, or a whole group of people, you need support. Find someone to keep it real with you.
3) Absolution. Losing weight, like many things in life, is filled with ups and downs. I realize that berating myself for messing up is very unhealthy. Throughout your weight loss and maintenance journey, there will be highs and lows. And if you haven’t heard me say a million times in my blog, life happens. Don’t let a temporary set-back become permanent. Take a deep breath, forgive yourself and move forward.  
4) Awareness. I am aware of the food I put in my body and I keep track of it. I am mindful of what I eat. I choose to make healthy choices (well most of the time). I savor the food I am given. One of my goals on my goal board is to honor God with my body. God only gave me one body and for many years I thumbed my nose at him by not taking care of it. Be mindful of the choices you make.
5) Activity. The more I move my body the better I feel. And quite honestly, the more I exercise, the less junk I want to eat. Why? Because when I work out hard for an hour, I don’t want to come home and eat a sleeve of Oreos, it totally defeats the purpose. Well, let’s face it, I might want to eat the whole sleeve of Oreos (especially if they're double stuffed), but I don’t. Being active is a privilege that some people do not have. Instead of saying I HAVE to exercise, try saying I WANT to exercise or I GET to exercise.
6) Achievement. Set goals and celebrate your achievements. Set big crazy goals and smaller more maintainable goals. Post them in a place where you can see them each day. Let your accountability partner or group know what your goals are, and report back to them on your progress. Remember that small goals can add up to big results.
7) Appreciation. Never a day goes by that I do not give thanks in the beginning and end of my day that I am able to live a healthy life. Be thankful for your journey, the highs and the lows. Be grateful that you have the opportunity and the ability to make positive changes in your life. Every day is a fresh start!
Make the choice. Commit to the choice. Continue with courage.
Hugs and friendship,
Tara

No comments:

Post a Comment