Saturday, May 5, 2012

Keeping My Eye on the Prize

So usually, when it comes to my weight loss journey (and life in general), I have these three P’s to live by- patience, perseverance and persistence. But this week my three P’s happened to be poptart, poptart and a peanut butter tandycake. Yep, that’s what I said, poptart, poptart and a peanut butter tandycake, all consumed in one night after I had a stellar day of eating.  For those of you that are on Weight Watcher’s, that’s a 17 point snack. *grimace*
Here’s how it went down. My hubby and son were at baseball practice and I was home alone with the three P’s. Now usually the three P’s don’t taunt me, they are always in my pantry, but that night, they were a callin’ my name and let’s just say I answered the call.
And let me tell you, I felt miserable afterward. Absolutely miserable. And those nasty little Gremlins that I’ve blogged about starting coming out. “What on earth is the matter with you?” “Do you have any ounce of self-control?” “How could you sabotage your whole day of healthy eating?” “Well that totally defeated your exercise earlier in the day.” “You’re a failure.” “Just give up”. Do those Gremlin voices sound familiar to you?
But this time, I’ve got my eye on the prize-overall wellness-long term good health and in spite of those three P’s, I feel great!  Thanks to 15 years of being on Weight Watcher’s, I know that this is a lifetime of change. And guess what folks, a lifetime is a long time (hopefully so). Don’t fool yourself into thinking that somewhere along the way you won’t mess up. The point is, don’t give up. That’s where the real three P’s come into play- patience, perseverance and persistence. Be patient with yourself, you’re only human. Be patient with the process. Persevere!  This journey might take a while. Trust me, the end result will be worth it. Be persistent. Keep your eye on the prize. Make your plan and stick with it, even when it seems impossible to do so.
Have you tried something new this week and it didn’t go quite as expected? Have you started a goal and stopped in the middle? Have you failed so many times you don’t even want to try again?
Do not give up. The path may be curvy, hilly, tiresome and downright unpredictable sometimes, but it leads to someplace amazing. It’s worth it and so are you!
Ask for help. Make the choice. Commit to the choice. Continue with courage.
Hugs and friendship,
Tara

2 comments:

  1. I'm glad you're being gentle with yourself because there are always going to be those days.

    Now, that said, I really needed this!! I haven't counted points since I left to go to New Mexico over a month ago. I still managed to lose a couple of pounds, but that was more stress than anything. And because I haven't been counting points my eating habits have been less than good.

    I think the stress I've been under (with my Dad and everything) is finally waning and I'm ready to get back on track. It really is a head thing, isn't it?? Besides. There are some things I want to do next year that I can't do right now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is SUCH a head thing Jen. And it’s so hard to focus on yourself when you’re taking care of others, especially your loved ones who need it most. There are certain seasons in my life when I just didn’t have the mental capacity to battle my weight along with everything else. And in this season of my life (for now) I am able to fully focus. When this season passes for you, or at least levels out a bit, you will able to focus on you too- and you will rock it!

    ReplyDelete