Monday, April 23, 2012

Addicted (To Food)

A few weeks ago, I was chatting with my acupuncturist K, about food addiction. We were talking about why our culture does not really accept the reality of being addicted to food?  With obesity and obesity-related illnesses on an alarming rise, why is food addiction not regarded by most people as a real addiction?
When it comes to alcohol, drugs and tobacco addiction, rarely do you hear people say things like “he just needs to have more willpower” or “she needs to take control of the situation” or “that person is just weak” or “he doesn’t want it bad enough”. Yet when it comes to food addiction, many people believe that over-eaters can just flip some mental switch and voila- they can stop eating.
I remember during my conversation with K, I said “I don’t even like to talk about food addiction, it’s like a dirty little secret that makes me feel bad if I say it out loud”.  Food addiction, like every other addiction, can make a person feel ashamed, lost, powerless and hopeless.  For me, it’s such a dark place to go back to those feelings that compel me to overeat. I have not once, in my past year of blogging addressed the fact that I am, indeed, addicted to food. So for the premise of full transparency, and with the purpose of helping myself and others, here goes. This and my next blog post will be dedicated to airing my food addiction and how Weight Watcher’s has helped me to overcome this addiction.
As I write these words, I’m feeling a little squirmy in my seat. This is really tough for me to write. I have been addicted to food for as long as I can remember. It has been my best friend and enemy all in one.  Ever since I was a little girl, holding my Hostess powdered donettes in my clutches like some kids hold their teddy bears tight. As a child, food fed my deepest hurts, from my parents multiple divorces, to having to be shuffled around households, to the deaths of my dearest loved ones, to feeling utterly alone. I ate (and ate, and ate) to feed the pain I was feeling and to gain temporary happiness.
By the time I reached young adulthood, these habits grew with me. Food became my everything; best friend, stress relief, partner in crime. And it still is today.  I eat to celebrate, to mourn. I eat when I achieve, when I’m under stress. I eat socially and in private. I eat to cope and to enjoy. I eat when I’m sad and when I’m happy. Simply put, I eat.
Yet here’s the great news! You don’t have to feel ashamed, lost, powerless and hopeless. No matter if you make it a private or public decision, you CAN change your life. Whether you turn to Weigh Watcher’s, Overeater’s Anonymous, Jenny Craig, a nutritionist, medical professional, a food therapist or a spiritual leader, you CAN change your life. No matter if you’re 5 pounds or 200 pounds overweight, you CAN change your life. Whether you do it alone or in a group, you CAN change your life.  No matter your age, you CAN change your life. An old dog can indeed be taught new tricks.
You do not have to feel ashamed, lost, powerless or hopeless. You can feel proud, inspired, in control, and full of joy. I may have a food addiction for life, but that doesn’t mean I can’t change my life. And I have. Stay tuned for my next post, Overcoming (Food) Addiction.
Ask for help. Make the choice. Commit to the choice. Continue with courage.
Hugs and friendship,
Tara

2 comments:

  1. Hi TW,

    I just wanted to let you know that I shared your Blog with my oldest sister, Elaine (you met her at my 40th B-day party). I hope she starts reading your entries! I think she will connect deeply with you! And I believe you will be an inspiration to her as you are to me!

    Much love sistah-friend!

    Keep on Keepin' on!

    You LOOK Fabulous!

    :)

    Heart u,

    CS

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cathy Sands, you help me keep on keepin' on. I stole that saying from you! :) Or maybe it was from the Brady Bunch? Thanks for reading, posting and passing my blog on to Elaine. I treasure our friendship. Your beautiful spirit inspires me daily! Love you darlin'!

    ReplyDelete