Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Life Happens

Even the best laid out plans…well, you know the saying…the best laid out plans…they can get messed up sometimes…On my goal board in my home office, I had the date of March 26th, that was my magic goal date and alas it is April 4th and April Fool’s---I didn’t hit my goal.
As I mentioned in a previous post, I am still on exercise restriction from my surgery. Taking away exercise from me is like taking away my drug of choice. I use exercise to control my neuralgia, to reduce stress and to improve my mood. And oh yeah, I use exercise to lose weight. At this point in the game, being so close to my goal weight, it is getting increasingly more difficult to get the scale to move. I really count on the extra burn of exercise to lose weight.
And by the way, did I mention that my son broke his nose last week? Yep, did a nice doozy on it, he’s scheduled for surgery next week. So what’s a girl to do when everyday life gets in the way? Life happens. We don’t have the luxury of an uninterrupted weight loss journey like a contestant on The Biggest Loser.  They’ve got the BL chefs, the BL trainers, a BL nutritionist, 24 hour access to fitness equipment, and the ability to work out for 6 hours a day.
But here’s the deal-e-o, we are in real life. Our days start before we even wake up, continued from the night before as our never-ending to-do lists turn over in our minds. And as we jet out of bed we think about the day ahead while getting kids ready for school, reminding them to pack up their sports equipment, reviewing the after school pick up plans, packing lunches all while trying to make ourselves presentable for the day. If we’re lucky, we get a quick chat in with our spouse to plan out the evening and then one-two-three-break, it’s time to start our work days and it’s only 8am. And while we work we’re thinking about what needs to be done after work. Envision a million little post it notes popping up in our minds…Who needs to be taxied where? Was there a birthday? Was I supposed to call someone? Did I move that doctor appointment? And lest we neglect our volunteer commitments, those cupcakes we got sucked into making or the car wash we are coordinating. And don’t forget the heavier commitments like caring for sick loved ones, nursing someone who is feeling a loss or guiding our kids through their individual life challenges. Phew- are we exhausted yet? Did our fitness and well- being ever enter our minds?
What can we do when life happens and it feels like life itself is more than we can handle let alone eating right and exercising?
We can stay the course. Life is an exchange of give and take. Our focus will shift from us, to our kids, to our friends, back to us, to our spouses, to God, to our work, to our hobbies, back to us, to our parents…
Just stay the course and do what you can with the time and with the resources you’ve been given. And that will be enough. Breathe. Slow down. Squeeze in 10 minutes for yourself where you can. And then rinse and repeat. Don’t lose focus on your well-being but understand that sometimes that focus will shift, your wellness journey might slip and if it does, forgive yourself, brush off and forge ahead.
Spring is the best time to start anew!
Make the choice, commit to the choice and continue with courage.
Hugs and friendship,
Tara

No comments:

Post a Comment