Saturday, April 7, 2012

Ain't No Stopping Me Now

That’s right! Ain’t no stopping me now, I’m on the move! This week, just when I needed it most, I find myself re-energized and re-focused and let me tell you it feels great! My mind and body feel like a cloud blew over and out popped the sun. There are a few people that have given me this extra spring in my step this week.
1- My colleague, Bill Rust, wrote a blog titled “How’s That New Year’s Resolution Coming Along?”  Now while I’m not new a new year’s resolution kind of gal, his post about change really resonated with my weight loss journey. I love that Bill talks about doing a gut check. When you’re in the middle of doing something for a while, and you’re not quite seeing the results you’re looking for, check in with yourself. Are you still inspired? Has your goal changed? Is it even important to you anymore? Why? Does it need to be modified based on your current life circumstance? Take a moment to read Bill’s post, it’s a poignant reminder about how the emotions behind change can impact your results and ways to take a look at how modifying your thinking can affect your journey, wherever you plan to go. Nf5 Blog- Bill Rust
2- The topic of our Weight Watcher’s meeting this morning was Anchoring.  Similar to what Bill referenced, our emotions play a huge part in our ability and willingness to change. Anchoring is when you use a mental or physical object or image to keep you focused on your goal.  I love the idea of anchoring and I have several things I do to keep myself on track (to be shared in a later blog post). Our leader Janet gave some fantastic and practical examples of why anchoring is so important to help us achieve our long term goals. She also spoke about what actions and mindsets are needed for success. One thing that Janet shared really hit home for me. She shared a story of one of her lifetime members who is examining the process of change. And that “the pain in doing nothing must be greater than the change itself”. Not a direct quote…J
Eureka! That insight, in combination with Bill’s post, set the sun-a-shinin’ in my cloud filled week. When I first started Weight Watcher’s, the pain (physical and emotional) was greater; it was great enough for me to HAVE to make a change. I was at the end of my rope, and like many, was willing to do anything to make a change. And slowly but surely I did. Fast forward 15 years. I have (mostly) maintained my weight loss, albeit up and down a few pounds. Yet lately I find my motivation waning. I’m only 2.8 pounds from my goal weight and those 2.8 pounds are not enough pain to help me finish what I started. And that’s the big idea here for me, as Oprah calls it, my aha moment.
I need to re-examine my motivation. What once inspired me to change is not the same now. I am a different person now and h-e-l-l-o, that means my desire and reasons for change are different. Can you feel my excitement about this discovery? It’s like someone flipped a light switch in my brain. I can’t wait to start my planning and to fully focus on what and where I want to be, now and in the future.
This week, I challenge you to question what motivates you? Really think about your goals, weight loss and otherwise. Evaluate your plan to get there and adjust as needed. Imagine that anchor holding you in place with just the right amount of flexibility and strength to reach your goal.
Make the choice, commit to the choice and continue with courage.
Hugs and friendship,
Tara

No comments:

Post a Comment