Sunday, March 25, 2012

What if (fighting) Obesity is a Blessing?

Last week, our pastor gave a thought-provoking message about the sometimes unrecognized blessings that come into our lives. The lemon twist? The normal joy-filled blessings that come to mind aren’t exactly what he was talking about. It was more the idea that every single thing that comes into our lives, whether good or bad, is a blessing. Huh? Yes, let me repeat, every single thing that comes into our lives, the good AND the bad, are blessings. Now I’m certainly not doing the message justice, if you’d like to listen to it, click here.
This message came in a timely week for me. Work was stressful and exhausting for both me and my husband. I had 3 days to get 5 days of work done due to being off Thursday and Friday for minor surgery. The surgery went swimmingly but afterward I was left with an allergic reaction to the anesthesia that made me feel like crumbs for the past several days. It also triggered a neuralgia attack which left me tired, in bed and frustrated. Needless to say I had plenty of down time to ponder Pastor Brian’s message. For me, what hit home is that it is inevitable that bad things are going to happen to us in life. From the mild annoyances like getting stuck in traffic, dealing with teenagers or ill-timed allergic reactions to anesthesia that make you go through two boxes of tissues in one day. :) To the truly awful events like losing your job, fighting with your spouse, being estranged from a child, dealing with illness or losing a loved one.
I wonder then, if we accept the fact that life will always bring both good and bad, if it comes down to our attitudes and how we deal with it? We can be angry, agitated, numb, depressed, and feeling sorry for ourselves. Or we can be grateful, grace-filled, kind, patient and aware.
This got me thinking about the 30+ years I have struggled with my weight. What if (fighting) obesity is a blessing? Oh c’mon Tara, this is a stretch…but is it? So this week, while feeling like crumbs lying in my bed with a pile of tissues on the floor, I started to think about what I’ve gained from (not) gaining. Discipline. Endurance. Perseverance. Joy. Gratitude. Celebration. Patience.  
And like many of the trials that have come into my life, I would not trade this struggle. I honestly wouldn’t. Why? Because this is who I am and God is trying to teach me something through it. It certainly is a great way to practice discipline, endurance, perseverance, joy, gratitude, celebration and patience.
I wonder what hidden or unexpected blessing will come your way this week? Will you recognize it? Will you slow down and give thanks for it? Will you accept it for what it is, something meant to grow you into the person God wants you to be?
Make the choice, commit to the choice and continue with courage.
Hugs and friendship,
Tara

No comments:

Post a Comment