Wednesday, December 26, 2012

Mary Did You Know

Over the past week I’ve been deliberating on what I wanted to write about as we head into the New Year. I wanted it to express how blessed I feel in so many ways. I wanted to share how good it feels to be healthy and to ask others to join me.  I wanted to send a call to action to be well, not just physically, but emotionally and spiritually. Yet I wasn’t sure how to start and what to say.
Before my blogging days, I just liked to write. I’d write little stories and poems and I’d share those words with folks who I thought needed them. This was back before the days of social media so I’d use something called e-mail to reach out to people. I wrote the story below when our daughter experienced a traumatic gymnastics injury, went through a few surgeries and a year of physical therapy. I wrote it at Children’s Hospital (CHOP) as I was surrounded by children who were far more ill than our daughter.
While sitting at CHOP waiting for Ashlee to come out of surgery, I was seated directly in front of a small wheelchair. It was obviously a customized wheelchair that got a lot of use.
The name Mary was embroidered in pink thread on back of the chair. A Cinderella backpack hung from the side of the wheelchair.
And I sat and waited, staring at the chair.
I looked at how small the wheelchair was and the oxygen canister that was hooked to the chair. I looked at the straps that held the child in and imagined that she had no body control. The chair had brackets to hold her wobbly head in place.
I watched her parents sit and wait.
And I sat and waited, staring at Mary’s chair.
I thought about Mary’s family. What pain they must have endured, what life lessons did they learn?
And I thought about my family. How privileged we are.  Ashlee’s injury is a minor life inconvenience. Will it be hard?  Yes.  Am I tired- yes? But it’s just an arm, and it’s just temporary.
What lessons would we learn from this?
Would we appreciate each day?
Would we see life as a gift?
Would we live in each moment with each other?
Or would we go back to our self-centered ways?
Irritated by traffic…dramatic about work… agitated about finances…frantic about schedules…vain in our appearances… troubled by relationships.
Would we ever think about Mary again? Her adorable little wheelchair with the pink lettering and the Cinderella backpack.
I’ll bet that the most basic pleasures in life would bring Mary joy- to be able to speak, walk, eat, think and breathe on her own.
And at that moment it all connected with me- Mary…Mary…Mary…
Was there another Mary who long ago sacrificed her son for me?
If this son died for my very life…was I living each day in His joy?
Was I living for His pleasure or for mine?
What or who is your joy today?


I never met Mary’s family, nor did I ever get to see Mary. We left the waiting room before Mary came out of surgery. I’ll never forget how I felt that day at CHOP.  I suddenly realized that living a life of joy is not only mine for the taking, it’s mine for the making. I was reminded that with every obstacle that comes my way, I have the choice to make the best of it.  
Are you making the most out of what has been given to you?
What or who is your joy today? Let's work together to find that joy and to share it with others in the New Year!
Make the choice. Commit to the choice. Ask for help. Continue with courage.
Hugs and friendship,
Tara

No comments:

Post a Comment