Thursday, December 13, 2012

The Bystander

We’ve all heard the saying “eyes are the window to the soul”, but how about “eyes are the mirror of the heart?” One of my favorite things about being a Weight Watcher’s leader is being able to connect with people from all walks of life. Before, during and after the meetings, I do my best to ensure that members feel valued, heard and well cared for. And although I’m using my ears to listen to their stories of triumph and struggle, I’m using my eyes to peek into their hearts.
When I look into certain members eyes, I see my own heart. Not my heart now, but my heart as it was when I was in so much pain, cloaked in darkness.  I see people who are tired. Not just physically tired, but emotionally tired. Tired of struggling to lose weight; asking if the effort is really worth the sacrifice. I see people who are lost. They look in the mirror and don’t even recognize the face staring back at them. They self-loathe and berate, wondering how they let themselves go, not just in gaining weight but in losing track of life. They’ve spent days, months, maybe even years looking from the outside in. They’ve become a bystander in their own lives.
Yet in others I see light. I see men and women who are filled with hope. People who have joined together to celebrate this thing we call life. Side by side they reach important milestones- losing 5% of their weight, 10% of their weight, reaching GOAL and becoming a Lifetime Member.  They celebrate the non-scale victories just as whole-heartedly as they do the weight loss victories. Those non-scale victories are what help them to leave their bystander days behind. 
They start living again: Taking risks. Trying new things. Facing trials head on.
They are brave and courageous. 
They are filled with peace, gratitude and joy.
Do you want to be a bystander in your own life? Or do you want to: 
Take risks. Try new things. Face trials head on.
Life might seem dark to you right now, but remember you can’t experience light without darkness. Hope always overcomes despair.
It’s your time to shine.
Make the choice. Commit to the choice. Ask for help. Continue with courage.
Hugs and friendship,
Tara

No comments:

Post a Comment