Saturday, March 17, 2012

The Clean Plate Club

How many of us were raised to be members of the clean plate club? I know I was. Oh the memories of sitting at my grandmother’s kitchen table until it got dark because I wouldn’t clean my plate. It became a contest of wills, me sitting at the table moving my frozen peas around trying to make it look like I ate some of the pile; my grandmother watching me to see if I was going to pull a fast one. My best trick was wrapping my peas in a napkin and flushing them down the toilet. Sometimes I’d sit there until bed-time, all I knew for sure is that I wasn’t eating my veggies.
As a parent, I carried on the same tradition with my kids. Until during one pediatrician visit our doctor said to me “kids that do not finish their meals will not starve, don’t force it”. And so, in the mid-nineties, the long passed down tradition of the clean plate club ended.
Fast forward several years and now, as a person who is working really hard to make and maintain healthy eating habits, the end of the clean plate club has even more of an impact for me. I’ve always heard health experts recommend leaving food on your plate and I thought to myself “are they insane?” I mean, what a waste of perfectly good food. How could I possibly let the tasty morsels on my plate go to waste?
When you sit down to eat, listen to your body. We’ve all heard the old adage it takes 20-30 minutes for your brain to tell your stomach it is full. While you’re eating, eat slowly. Put your silverware down in between each bite. Drink water during your meal. Focus on what you’re eating. How does it taste? Savor the textures. And when you’re finished that first serving, stop. Wait. Let your brain catch up to your body. If after 20-30 minutes you’re still hungry, go for a fruit or healthy after meal snack. But I bet you’ll find that you’re satisfied.
Mindful eating has played a big part in my weight loss. My eating now is intentional. Before I used to eat and eat, depositing food into a seemingly never-ending cavernous hole in my stomach. I woofed my food down so fast, I didn’t even think about what I was eating, let alone enjoy it. Now that I’m eating healthier and really taking the time to enjoy my food, it just tastes better. When I have a special treat, that chocolate cake I’ve been waiting for all week, I savor each bite and yes, I leave half of the piece on my plate, either saving it for next time or throwing it away.
I challenge you this week, to be intentional about your meals. No eating on the run, no eating in the car, no eating over the kitchen counter. I know that we lead busy, crazy lives, but take this time to slow down and enjoy the gift of food that God has given us. If it’s not realistic to do this all day every day, take it one meal at a time. Give it a try, you’ll find that you can eat less and will still feel satisfied.
Make the choice, commit to the choice and continue with courage.
Hugs and friendship,
Tara

No comments:

Post a Comment