Monday, February 6, 2012

The Gambler

Sing along with me, “you gotta know when to hold em’, know when to fold em’, know when to walk away, know when to run. You never count your money, when you’re sittin’ at the table, there’ll be time enough for countin’, when the dealin’s done.” I don’t even like country music and I think I know all of the words to The Gambler.
Growing up, my Mom-Mom was a huge Kenny Roger’s fan, and while she wasn’t often a person that showed her joy, when a Kenny Roger’s song was playing, she couldn’t help but to sing along.
This week, when I was playing my weight loss hand, and I was ready to fold, I was reminded that there is nothing wrong with holding. At this point in my journey, I don’t want to walk away and I don’t want to run (well, maybe sometimes). I am at a point where perseverance and patience is needed. Now I can persevere until the cows come home, but patience has never been my strong point.
I am struggling with these last few pounds to goal. And life has thrown a few obstacles in my way to keep things entertaining. I haven’t been able to exercise due to hurting my lower back. And exercise is paramount for me for many different reasons. Exercise not only helps me physically, it helps me mentally and it helps to ward off my neuralgia. And just as I was ready to jump start my exercise…another obstacle.
Last Thursday when I was walking on the treadmill at a slow pace, 2.1 when I usually walk 3.7, I started to become short of breath. I couldn’t sing to my iPod or catch my breath. My neck became tight, my arms and legs became tingly and I just didn’t feel right, so I stopped. I felt pretty rotten that night and into the next day so I went to the doctor’s. After a joy-filled day of EKG’s and a chest CAT scan, I was sent home to rest. So far all of the tests have come back clear (praise God) and now they need to run some blood work. But until the blood work comes back, I’m not allowed to exercise. L
Certainly there are far worse things in life than not being able to exercise, but I’m feeling frustrated and stuck. Being this close to my goal, I need to be able to exercise to get the scale to move. Since patience is not my strong point, I would ordinarily decide that I’ve come far enough in my journey and I would quit. I’d fold my cards, walk away, maybe even run as fast as I could (to another delicious slice of birthday cake).
But I’m not that girl anymore, I’m not letting this (or any) obstacle stop me. I need to accept and understand that sometimes even the best laid out plans get put on hold. But that doesn’t mean quit. It means doing the best you can with the situation you’ve been given and on occasion something really cool can happen. What’s important to remember is the last sentence of the chorus, “there’ll be time enough for countin’, when the dealin’s done.”
Well, my dealin’s not done, so don’t count me out just yet. I KNOW that patience and perseverance pays off. So no matter what you’re facing this week, don’t give up! Hold when you need to, but don’t fold, you’re worth so much more than that!
Ask for help, make a choice, commit to the choice and continue with courage.
Hugs and friendship,
Tara

No comments:

Post a Comment