Wednesday, February 22, 2012

My Letter to Dr. Oz

As a follow up to my previous post, I am sharing my letter to the Dr. Oz Show. I hope that in some small way, this kindles a spark to your own transformation journey, wherever it takes you.
Make the choice, commit to the choice and continue with courage.
Hugs and friendship,
Tara

February 1, 2012
Hello there Dr. Oz team! My name is Tara Watson, I’m about to turn the big 4-0, and acupuncture has done more than transform my life, it has given me my life back!
In 2002, I was diagnosed with an illness called trigeminal neuralgia/atypical facial pain. It causes me to experience a variety of pains in the right hand side of my head from pinching and pulling, to feeling like someone is driving nails in my head, to stop you in your tracks lightning bolts of pain. As the years progressed, my pain became worse. Sometimes I would lie in bed unable to move and afraid to cry because the crying would trigger new pain. Since extreme hot and cold weather is a trigger, I am often stuck inside. There are not enough pages on this paper to allow me to describe how this illness took over my life. I was watching the lives of my children, family and friends pass by while I went deeper into my cocoon of pain, feeling isolated and alone.
Over the course of 2010, I tried two anti-seizure drugs- Neurontin and Carbamazepine and they made me very sick. I also attended a support group in Philadelphia which was more depressing than encouraging. I consider myself to be a very positive and faith-filled person. But I began thinking, how I am going to live the rest of my life like this? What kind of life is this? At the end of my rope and tired of how the medication made me feel, I opted for acupuncture.
I’ve been doing acupuncture for a little over a year now and am filled with so much gratitude toward my acupuncturist Kate Pietrowski, she saved my life. I was living in such a cloud of pain that I forgot what it was like to just be able to be me.  The neuralgia had such a hold on my life. Thanks to acupuncture treatments, I can enjoy life again. Not having to rely on those mind-numbing prescription medications has been such a blessing. Being an active participant in life is the ultimate gift.
Since I started acupuncture last year, my pain occurrences are less frequent. The level of pain that comes with the attacks has been lessened and the duration of the attacks has been significantly reduced.  In addition, in 2009-2010 I was taking pain/migraine medication like candy and now I only take pain medication a few days a month, if that.
Having my neuralgia attacks under control has allowed me to get a new job that I love. I have taken my health back, losing 25+ pounds. I can attend more of my kid’s outdoor activities because my tolerance for colder temperatures has improved. I started volunteering again. I even started a wellness blog. It feels so great to be able to live life with zest and to take on new risks and adventures. My next adventure is to become a Weight Watcher’s leader. I am four pounds away from reaching my Lifetime Membership.
I am a completely different person than I was this time last year. Removing the darkness and fear that comes from chronic pain, it’s like I have a brand new lease on life. I can live my life as me, confident and happy! There are no words to express the joy that comes with the gift of hope and a renewed sense of purpose.  
Warm regards,  
Tara Watson

No comments:

Post a Comment