Friday, January 27, 2012

Forty, the new Twenty?

Since when did 40 become the new 20? Let me tell you, I’m about to celebrate my 40th birthday and I’m not anywhere near 20. And do you know what? I don’t want to be.  
A while back, our pastor did a sermon about chasing carrots. He talked about the fact that especially in the greater-Philadelphia area, the carrots people chase are more money, more things and a more youthful physical appearance. PS- It was a really great message and if you want to listen to it, click here. 
OK, so who wouldn’t want more money, more things and a more youthful physical appearance? Guilty as charged. But the beauty of being 40 and not 20 is that life experience has taught me that more money, more things and a more youthful physical appearance does not lead to a content life.
Now wait a minute Tara, your blog is about losing weight. Yes, true. But hopefully by now you’ve realized it’s about a lot more than losing weight. I’m not chasing my 20-something body, I just want to be healthy and fit. I will probably never see the waist-line that I had in college. For me to try to attain that size again might be reachable, but’s it’s not maintainable for me if I want to live and enjoy life.
This is why I kinda like the idea of being 40. Being 40 means that I have the wisdom to not sweat the small stuff as much. It means not beating myself up if I don’t get a workout in on a busy day. Forty means allowing myself to indulge in some delicious food while going out with friends.  Forty means valuing people over things. It means self-forgiveness and self- love. Not self-love in the “dang I’m all that and a bag of chips love”. But being able to look in the mirror and accept who you are and where you are in your life.
I was watching Mark Nepo on OWN the other day and he said something to the effect of “when you don’t trust in yourself. You’re not trusting in the wisdom of the person who created you”.  It was such a powerful statement for me, I wrote it down. And it made me think, if I don’t love me, I’m not accepting the love of the one who created me.
We are fearfully and wonderfully made by a creator that loves us more than we could ever imagine. And although I want to get better in several areas of my life, I also need to enjoy being right where I am, because that’s where God chooses to love me.
So bring it 40, I’m ready for you!!!
Ask for help, make a choice, commit to the choice and continue with courage.
Hugs and friendship,
Tara

2 comments:

  1. You ARE all that and a bag of chips!! Great post, Tara. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Right back at ya sistah! And loved your leg warmers comment from my last post. I think I could rock me some leg warmers. ;)

    ReplyDelete