Monday, January 9, 2012

You Are Enough

I was watching Elizabeth Gilbert (the author of Eat, Pray, Love) on Oprah’s Life Class, and I was really impacted by what she had to say. She spoke about a variety of topics but what really stuck with me was one of her daily mantras- you are enough. Gilbert is quoted in saying “The Yogic sages say that all the pain of a human life is caused by words, as is all the joy. We create words to define our experience and those words bring attendant emotions that jerk us around like dogs on a leash. We get seduced by our own mantras (I'm a failure... I'm lonely... I'm a failure... I'm lonely...) and we become monuments to them.”
How extremely powerful are the words we say and think. They can build us up or break us down. They can define us, refine us, limit us or set us free. Yet it’s not the words themselves, but the emotions behind the words, and this is especially true when it comes to how we talk and think about our physical appearance.
What if, no matter the stage of life we were in, we told ourselves that we were enough? Not good enough, smart enough or strong enough---simply enough.
Have you ever looked back at a picture and thought “wow, I looked really good then”? Yet at the time, you thought you could have looked better?
My husband always says if there is one gift that he could give me, it would be a big dose of confidence. I wonder about the people that appear confident. Are they truly confident or are they putting up a front? Maybe a little bit of both. Where does the belief that “I am enough” come from? From your parents/family? Does it depend on who you surround yourself with? Or is it cultivated from wisdom that can only come with age and experience?
I love the idea of waking up each day and saying to myself “I am enough”. Not thin enough, pretty enough, educated enough or whatever enough---simply enough.
“What the caterpillar thinks is the end of the world, the butterfly knows is only the beginning. ~ Anonymous
I am so appreciative of the perspective that I have this time around on my weight loss journey. I am not in a hurry and I am not using words to limit my progress. I’m doing my best to enjoy this journey because I know that whether I’m a caterpillar or a butterfly, I AM ENOUGH. And with every new thing I try or risk I take, I know that it's just the beginning of something really, really good.
Ask for help, make a choice, commit to the choice and continue with courage.
Hugs and friendship,
Tara

No comments:

Post a Comment