Monday, January 16, 2012

Fit Family

This is one of my favorite pictures of our family, not because it’s the best picture, but because of the memories that come with it. This picture was taken by a passerby on the Beehive trail at Acadia National Park in Maine. We had just finished the trail and were feeling quite accomplished. I’m so glad that random stranger asked if we wanted a family picture taken as I treasure it for many reasons.

Our week in Maine was an outdoorsy, adventurous vacation and we all loved it! We hiked a new trail at the park every day and our daughter Ashlee rock climbed over the rocky cliffs of the ocean. Side story, we were all supposed to rock climb; but after watching Ashlee, our nerves were shot, so we said “ahh, no thanks” and walked as fast as we could on our shaky little legs back to our car.
Given the fact that I am extremely afraid of heights, I can’t believe that my family talked me into doing the Beehive trail. It was pretty much a climb straight up the side of the mountain on a narrow trail that fit only one of us in width at a time. There were several sections that had iron rungs to climb up or to walk over. My husband Nate, who picked the trail with enthusiasm, neglected to tell me until after the hike that it was rated difficult and strenuous.

As we got about half way up, reality set in that there was no turning around because it would be even harder to climb back down, so we pushed upwards. Our kids were pretty young then, Ash was 12 and Josh was 7. And since my nickname is Sally Safety, I was totally freaked out about one of them falling off the edge. As we kept on climbing, our adventurous mood turned to silence, teamwork and concentration with Nate giving direction for us to “put our hand here, move our foot there or to hold his hand.”
Thankfully we made it to the top and sadly I don’t think we truly took time to appreciate the view from above because we were all pretty scared. Needless to say, the hike back down the mountain was quiet, mostly from relief and exhaustion.
Our mood changed when we got to the bottom, laughing and high-fiving that we made it; looking up to the top at those iron rungs and the mountain that we conquered together. And even though I was ready to beat my husband for not telling me beforehand that it was rated a strenuous and difficult hike, it is one of my favorite family memories because when I look at that picture I see that we were happy and healthy- a fit family.
I don’t know about you, but I sure don’t take the time to really appreciate the gift of good health.  Whether you have it now, or it’s something you’re working towards, take a moment to give thanks for that gift you’ve been given.
Each time I exercise now, instead of thinking of it as a burden, I try to remember that it is a gift and I say out loud “Thank you God that my lungs keep breathing, my heart keeps beating, my legs keep moving. Thank you for this gift".
Ask for help, make a choice, commit to the choice and continue with courage.
Hugs and friendship,
Tara

No comments:

Post a Comment