Monday, May 9, 2011

Something Amazing Awaits

Well…it was bound to happen. I am at a plateau. Over the past few weeks, I have been up a pound, down a pound, up a pound, down a pound. It’s enough to drive a girl crazy. It’s also enough to make a girl quit!
When I’ve reached this point in my weight loss journey before, I threw in the towel. Because those little voices in my head tell me the sacrifice is not worth it. The exercise and aching muscles. Planning and wise choices. Weighing and measuring. The cooking…for Pete’s sake, I despise cooking.
But this time, as I write the words, the sacrifice is not worth it; I’m thinking the words, I am worth it. I am worth the work.  I am worth the exercise and aching muscles. I am worth the planning and wise choices. I am worth the weighing and measuring and as much as it pains me to say, I am worth the cooking.
So what makes this time around different? I want it! I want this. And I believe that if you want something bad enough, you can…and will…make it happen.
Granted, it “might” not happen within your planned timeline. Many years ago, when our daughter was very young, I went back to college for my bachelor’s degree. I took one class and stopped. Then, a few years later, I took another class and stopped. Not only was it not the right time in our lives, I simply didn’t want it bad enough to put in the hard work to make it happen.
In the fall of 2004, I went back again to get my degree. And this time, I wanted that degree so bad, I was willing to do anything to make it happen. I was working full time, had two very busy kids and decided to take an accelerated degree track, taking 10-15 credits a semester, including summers. On class day, I woke up at 5:30am, went to work, worked a full day and went right to class until 10:00pm. On non-class days, when push came to shove, I woke up at 5:30am to study before work. And I despise getting up early almost as much as I despise cooking. ;) I was a woman on a mission, and nothing could stop me. And with the wonderful support of my family and friends, I graduated in 2007.
I’m not exceptional, ordinary people achieve extraordinary things every day. What’s different for me on this leg of my journey is that I want to make this change. And although I might encounter all kinds of obstacles (work stress, lack of time, kid events, caring for family members), I am going to make this happen. Because I want this and I’m worth it!
A little disclaimer needs to happen here…J A good friend of mine once said to me “God’s perfect timing may NOT be perfect to you. But it is to Him”. So true. Sometimes, we want something very badly and it doesn’t happen. It might happen a year from now, ten years from now or never. That doesn’t mean we shouldn’t go for it. Something amazing that we hadn’t even planned for might just happen instead.   
Make the choice, commit to the choice and continue with courage.
Hugs and friendship,
Tara

No comments:

Post a Comment