Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Leaping Off the Wagon

Well, this week, I didn’t just fall off the wagon, I leapt off.  Maybe not even a leap, but a full force run in the opposite direction of where I was heading.
And I discovered…it’s really easy to blog when things are going well. But during times of struggle, it’s hard to put myself out there.
It made me think about the life of a celebrity. No privacy, always under scrutiny for their appearances, family ties, career moves and life choices. Imagine if people judged us like we judged them? We don’t even know them. Yet, I’m guilty as charged. I’ll sit in front of the TV, in my comfy clothes and be thinking “what the heck is she wearing? Doesn’t she have a mirror?”
When I thought about celebrities and their public weight struggles, plenty came to mind. Janet Jackson, Jessica Simspon, Wynonna Judd, Jennifer Hudson, Kirstie Alley, and of course Oprah Winfrey.
As I watched the trailer’s for Oprah’s 25 year career, I couldn’t help but to think about the ups and downs of her weight loss journey, after all, it was right before my eyes. This woman, the most powerful and wealthiest in the world (until Lady Gaga knocked her to #2), she struggles just like you and me.
Oprah has the world of heath at her fingertips. She’s got a cook and a personal trainer. The best fitness equipment that money can buy. Yet she still hasn’t found her way. I’m not talking about when she rolled the wagon full of fat unto the stage in her little skinny jeans, she was too thin then. I’m talking about overall wellness.
And for you Biggest Loser fans…they have the best trainers in the world, the weight loss opportunity of a lifetime. They exercise and eat in a controlled environment and some weeks…they blow it. Makes me feel better on those nights when I’m watching Biggest Loser while eating my peanut butter Tandycakes.
This week, I ate just about everything in sight (and then some). My workouts fell to the wayside. I was tired and grouchy. And I realized that I was tired and grouchy because I ate just about everything in sight and my workouts fell to the wayside. And joyfully I thought “I don’t like feeling this way”. I like the way I feel when I put good foods in my body and when I exercise. That’s progress baby! J I thought I leapt off the wagon this week, but as it turns out, I’m still in it. My wagon just took a little detour.
Part of the reason I created this blog is to remind women (and myself), that we’re only human. We try, we fail. We try, we succeed. What’s most important is that we keep trying.
Whatever you’re facing this week, don’t miss out on something wonderful by not giving it a try.
Make the choice, commit to the choice and continue with courage.
Hugs and friendship,
Tara

No comments:

Post a Comment