Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Missing Mo-Jo

dis·com·bob·u·late–verb- To confuse or disconcert; upset; frustrate.
This week, I’m feeling very discombobulated (love that word). I’m tired, frustrated, frazzled.
My “get up and go”…“got up and went”. I lost my mo-jo. You get what I mean…I’m beat.
There are simply not enough hours in the day to get things done. I feel like I’m running around like crazy and accomplishing ¼ of what I need to.
Work is busier than ever. My husband’s job is stressful. We have kid stuff every night of the week. As the school year comes to an end, it seems as though the teachers try to cram in all of the projects they didn’t quite get to assign. Don’t forget about the awards banquets. Our daughter is a senior, so add in the graduation planning and college preparation. Scheduling summer sports and camps. Not to mention the endless array of paperwork that comes with all of the above. And oh yeah, the house still needs to be cleaned, laundry done, groceries bought, birthdays remembered…How about squeezing in time for our family? Spouse? Children? Friendships? Spiritual time? Ourselves?
Such is the life of a busy Mom. Is it any wonder that we struggle to lose weight? I don’t know about you, but often times I come in dead last. How on earth can we find the time to shop for healthy foods? To plan and prepare meals? Exercise? And how do we dig deep enough to find the energy to “keep on keepin’ on?”
Something is different for me this time around. Which is probably why I’m feeling a little discombobulated?  I have flip-flopped my priorities. In that list of “to dos” above, just look at what comes in last place. Family. Spouse. Children. Friendships. Spiritual time. Ourselves.
Right now, I’ve got laundry mountain waiting for me to conquer. My house is semi-clean but needs some help. The endless paper pile is growing. But Jimmy Crack Corn and I don’t care! Why? Because I’m doing what’s truly important.
I went shopping with my daughter. Played whiffle ball with my son. Took a family walk and enjoyed the weather. Went out to dinner with friends. Read a book. Walked the dog with my husband. Went to Zumba with my girlfriend. Spent time in prayer. Exercised almost every day. Took some photos. Prepared healthy foods.
A few weeks ago at Weight Watchers’s, our leader asked the question “who can name one or more thing you’ve done for yourself this week?” We all sat scratching our heads and looking at each other like hmmmm…I dunno.
This week, try the twofer rule (yes I made that up). Every day, if I can get TWO things done from my never-ending “to do” list- I consider it a day well spent.
Remember, you can’t do it all, but you can do what matters.
Make the choice, commit to the choice and continue with courage.
Hugs and friendship,
Tara

1 comment:

  1. I am so proud of you and envy you at the same time. Yes my house needs cleaned and the taxi driving is never done! Why do I feel guilty when I take the time out for myself? I have recently discovered Zumba and love love love it. Can you imagine me, who did not even dance at my own wedding! I feel guilt every time I go to class. If I go to a baseball game late I get razzed by every one. Mark encourages me to go because he knows I love it, but I still feel guilty. Wish you and I lived closer together so we could fight the battle together! xoxoxoxo, Steph

    ReplyDelete