Thursday, June 2, 2016

21 Day Fix- Week 3- Hurdles

I started out week 3 with a laser focus and a mantra of finish strong. I knew going into week 3 that I had an over-programmed personal schedule so I’d have to take extra care to plan ahead for success. What I didn’t plan on however was a knee injury.

Half way through week 3 I tweaked my knee at (of all places) my yoga class; the kind of tweak that wakes you up in the middle of the night with pain. Geez-oh-man was I discouraged. How on earth was I going to finish strong if I couldn’t keep my body moving? Yet I needed to focus on my life beyond the 21 days which meant listening to my body. The day after my injury I rested my knee and alternated ice and Motrin. The next day I decided that my upper body wasn’t broken so I did Upper Body fix and Abs. The next day I went on a slow walk, (very, very slow) to see how my knee felt.  It was tender. I knew I had to take it easy even if that meant I didn’t have the kind of finish to the 21 days that I’d hoped for.

Instead of focusing on the negative, I focused on what I could control, my eating. I knew it was important to keep my eating on track. On this particular week that was extra challenging because at work it was fiscal month/quarter end which means longer, more stressful days. On Friday 5/27 the last day of closing out the month, I experienced a non-scale victory. Usually month end drives me to Dunkin Donuts for a little stress eating, but this time I had my Shakeology. It felt amazing to stay in control of my choices. So amazing!

My knee continued to gimp along so I did what I could in the workouts modifying anything that might hurt my knee. That’s one (of the many) things I love about this program. You can modify it to your fitness level. I must admit I had stereotyped all Beachbody participants into lunks (like on the Planet Fitness lunk alarm commercial). What I learned being a part of this challenge group is that people who are working the Beachbody programs are just people who want to be the best versions of themselves. Sure, there are people who are in incredible shape, who have true beach bodies, and they worked hard to get there. There are people who are working towards weight loss goals, fitness goals, and personal bests. The challenge group helped me to stay focused, motivated and to learn new things. I loved being surrounded and supported by people who are focused on being well just like me.
 
All in all, I lost 3 pounds on the 21 day fix (you may lose anywhere from 4-7 pounds) and I gained:
  • Energy
  • Focus
  • Better sleep/waking up before my alarm clock
  • Less hunger/carb cravings
  • Control of my eating
  • Muscle definition
  • The shorts I bought for vacation in March are now too big
What I also gained is confidence in myself and Beachbody, which is why I’m proud to announce that I am now a Beachbody coach!!!

Life is going to put hurdles in front of you that take on many shapes and forms; some less serious and some very serious.

“If you’re tired of starting over, stop quitting.” – Autumn Calabrese


Do what you need to do to keep going, whether you step over the hurdle or just barely crawl under it. Do what you need to do to be the best you.

While my 21 days has ended, my transformation has just begun.

Won’t you join me on this journey?

Commit to the choice. Ask for help. Continue with courage.  
Hugs and Friendship,

Tara

No comments:

Post a Comment