Thursday, June 2, 2016

21 Day Fix- Week 1- Oh Snap!

Oh snap! What have I gotten myself into?

For a perfectionist, starting something (anything) new is terrifying. In my mind, failure is not an option (although I’ve failed on plenty of adventures in my lifetime).

After I said yes to the program, I anxiously awaited my supplies. Keyword- anxious. This program seemed to be super hard core, what if I couldn’t do it? What if I spent the money and didn’t see any results? I was so anxious that I had a panic moment, I thought the group challenge had started and I didn’t have my supplies yet. Alas, the group had started their prep week, buying healthy groceries, reading through materials and so forth. Phew!

When my supplies arrived, I went from saying "oh snap" to an overwhelming feeling of dread. I was totally, unquestionably, overwhelmed.  Yet we all have to start somewhere...so that is what I did.


I started by reviewing the eating plan. Much to my delight, it is very similar to the Weight Watchers food guidelines. It directs you to veggies, fruits, proteins, (healthy) carbs, (healthy) fats, seeds and dressings. It provides information about oil and nut butters, beverage substitutions, (healthy) treats and goes over free foods and supplements.   

Where this program is really on point is the portion control. It provides color coded containers along with a formula for how many containers of each color you should eat based on your starting weight. This is clutch. It’s something my (former) Weight Watchers members struggled with, how much of each food group to eat.

My husband and I planned out our dinners for the week based on the program. I stocked up on plan friendly foods and what I really like is the direction toward the whole food (what some call green or clean eating). I needed this redirection. I had gotten off track, eating “high fiber” bars or snacks, most of which I couldn’t read all of the ingredients, as well as processed meals such as Lean Cuisines. I’m not knocking these when in a pinch, but it felt great knowing I was putting good fuel in my body.

Next I mapped out my exercise plan against all of my personal activities for the week. I knew there were nights when I wouldn’t be home. On those nights I had to prioritize my exercise earlier in the day. But no exerscuses! There is no reason why I can’t find 30 minutes in my day to take care of me.

After doing the first workout, Cardio Fix, and surrendering to the surrender move- I thought to myself, holy mother of #$$@@%! My husband asked me how it went and I answered “well, I didn’t die”- ha! I modified and I was very glad they had a gal in the front of the video showing the modifications. After having 2 stress fractures in the same foot in 2014/2015, I am being very careful with my exercise. I modified the entire first week and when I couldn’t do a video because my body was too sore, I listened to it and walked outside instead.

I’m proud to say I’ve completed my first week of the 21 Day Fix and I could not be happier with how I feel.

Click here to read about my 2nd week. I was super skeptical about the Shakeology and boy was I surprised.

Commit to the choice. Ask for help. Continue with courage.  
Hugs and Friendship,

Tara

No comments:

Post a Comment