Thursday, June 2, 2016

21 Day Fix- Week 2- Breathing Room

I must admit that I’m loving this program more than I anticipated. The workouts are perfect for today’s busy lifestyle- 30 minutes, work hard, get in get out, done! This week I logged in 340 minutes of activity and while some of my muscles are screaming (they’re downright hatin’ on me), I feel fantastic! I have to take a moment to share a non-scale victory. Last year I went to a personal trainer for 5 months. Part of the fitness test was a men's push up. I couldn’t do one. So I set a goal to build up my arm strength to do just ONE push up with the premise of starting somewhere- just start with one small goal and build on it. I put the word ONE on my vision board. By the end of week 2 of this program, I did 8 push ups during Upper Body fix (then I dropped back to my knees). Eight!!! Now some of you reading this might be thinking “pffft, big deal” but to me, it’s a BIG deal. My upper body is my weakest link. I still can’t believe I actually did it and look forward to slowly (after I can feel my arms again) increasing my reps.


Now, on to the Shakeology. As I mentioned in my last post, I was so against the shakes that I asked my coach if I could still take part in the program but forgo the shakes. Well, I guess I ate (or should I say drank) my words. Never did I ever think I’d look forward to a protein shake- blech and double blech! However I get downright giddy about my chocolate banana peanut butter shake. Not only is it loaded with super nutrients, it’s loaded with yum! Plus the shakes have seriously worked to curb my sugar craving. I love the flexibility of using them as a meal or a snack. I’ve been using them to help with 2 of my challenge areas- nighttime snacking and pre-lunch hunger attacks. I’ll either have one as my evening snack or my mid-morning snack. Another fav is vanilla pineapple banana mango- so good!

I finished week 2 feeling stronger, more focused, more energized and empowered by my positive choices. Even better I didn’t let the scale dictate my behavior. I had a phenomenal weight loss my first week and at the end of week 2, the scale didn’t budge. But I’ve been at this wellness thing for so long I know it’s not about days, it’s about weeks, months, years. It’s about the long term plan. I also know that I’ve been doing more strength training than ever. My body is changing; I’m starting to see definition, specifically in my shoulders, abs (the tiniest hint of a six pack- LOL) and quads. My clothes are fitting better. So this week I decided to give the scale (and myself) some breathing room. Patience is an important part of any long term wellness journey and it’s something I work on as I’m super impatient. It’s a character builder, that’s for sure.

I can say with confidence that I rocked the program this week, I was consistent and persistent and I know it will pay off. Living well is about progress not perfection. I know that I’m making progress and that progress goes beyond the scale.

I can’t wait to start week 3! Click here to learn how it went.

Let’s do this!

Commit to the choice. Ask for help. Continue with courage.  
Hugs and Friendship,
Tara



No comments:

Post a Comment