Wednesday, July 15, 2015

Love Glasses

Tonight, I embark on my next round of sessions at Passion for Fitness and even better, I’m bringing a friend along- wahoo!

As much as I’m excited to continue my wellness journey, I’ll admit I gave it some thought to stop where I am and call it a day. You see, as each week goes by, the program gets harder. This is what I wanted yet it also makes me uncomfortable because I’m not quite sure I believe I can do it. It’s funny, when I was working with the owner doing my pre-assessment questionnaire, one of the questions was “confidence level?” and I answered “high”.  Boy, I must have been really jazzed about the program rating my confidence as high because as soon as I started my first workout I though “oh crap, what did I get myself into!?! I can’t do this”!

Sometimes when trying something new, I get in my own way. Sometimes I get in my own way so much I won’t even start. I’ve also learned that harboring these feelings of self-doubt makes me look for the easy way out- excuses, blame.

When I was a Weight Watchers leader, I could tell who was going to succeed on the program just by their attitude and initial belief in themselves.  Granted, as people saw success during the program, their attitudes might change for the better- yet it was those who believed that they could do it, even during a rough patch that reached their goals.  Whether it was their hardiness, steadfast willingness or sheer determination- what they had in common was a positive mindset. I also noticed that the more I believed in them, the more they believed they could do it. 

I was watching Tony Robbins the other day and he said that “love is the oxygen of the soul”. Look out world! I’m back from vacation, fully rested and watching Tony Robbins! 

It’s amazing how much time and energy we pour into those we love. Whether it’s our children, parents, spouses, friends- there is nothing we wouldn’t do for them. We sacrifice and give beyond measure.

Why then is self-love so difficult?   

Something I’m constantly working on is to stop seeking approval from outside sources and to love myself because of God’s great love for me and great love within me. And to stop judging myself according  to other people’s standards.

Maybe you’ve seen this viral video going around of this adorable baby getting glasses and seeing her parents clearly for the first time? If you haven’t, take a moment to watch it, it is just precious.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jbOZL8vUClc

Her open-eyed wonder at what she is seeing is so heart-warming. It reminds me of how God looks at me every single day with nothing but love. This is how I want to see myself and the world, with wonder and amazement. I want to be able to see the immense possibility, in myself in others.

I want to show my obedience to God by walking through my fears.  I want to remember that there is nothing He wouldn’t do for me. He has sacrificed and continues to give beyond measure.

Each day I want to put on my love glasses.  



I want to see myself as God sees me.  I want to believe in myself as he believes in me. I want to continue to pursue living an excellent life to honor him- taking the best care of myself and others that I can. I want to continue to try new things and adventures, pushing past my fears and anxieties.

What is something you’ve been meaning to do? What’s something you’ve been wanting to try? What’s holding you back? What’s the worst that could happen?

There’s a good chance that the only person stopping you is you! So put your love glasses on and get moving.  

Make the choice. Commit to the choice. Ask for help. Continue with courage.  
Hugs and Friendship,

Tara

No comments:

Post a Comment