Friday, February 8, 2013

Birthday Cake

Who says you can’t have your cake and eat it too? This past week, we celebrated 3 birthdays; mine, my son’s and my cousin’s. Cake all around! Between the parties and dinners out, I had cheese steak, fries, and cake, cake, cake! And when I got on the scale, I lost a pound.  And did I mention that I lost said pound without exercising? (I’m still on exercise ban healing my broken foot).
If I sound like some infomercial for the latest diet craze, it’s intentional.  
Eat all the junk food you want, don’t exercise and YOU too can lose weight- NOT!
Let me clarify my half-truths.  This week, between the parties and dinners out, I had a half of cheese steak, a half a serving of fries, and two half slices of cake.   And I lost a pound. Even though we had two nights out and one party, I did not use that as an excuse to go off program. I allowed myself to have a few treats and then dialed it in.
Since I posted the Great Confessional, in which I confessed to gaining 2.6 pounds over the holidays, I have lost 3.2 pounds. This is not to say how flipping fantastic I am, it’s to say YOU CAN DO IT TOO!  
Weight Watchers asks us to write down and commit to one small change every week. And you know one of my favorite sayings, small changes lead to big results. This week my small change was pretty major to me. Every year I use my birthday as an excuse to…ah… how do I put this lightly…eat as much cake as I darn well please…and then I get back on track. I order a cake from my favorite bakery, Bakers of Buffington in Downingtown.  Hands down, they have the best vanilla butter cream icing! My saliva glands are in overdrive as I write this. I’d use the icing as hand lotion if I could and then I’d lick my fingers all day long.  During my birthday week, I eat a slice of cake a day…until it’s gone. Sometimes I even share it with my family. ;)

This year, I took a different approach. I feel too healthy to sabotage my hard work, yet I still love cake. Who doesn’t? So I brought home a slice of cake for each person in my family. And boy did I cherish it. I cut the slice in half and had half of it one day, and half of it the next day. My teenage son with a never-ending appetite saw my unfinished half of cake slice in the pantry and said “Mom- are you going to eat that?” Son, you don’t mess with your Momma and cake!!
I am so glad that little by little I have been able to make small changes that have led to a sustainable weight loss AND I still get to enjoy life with family and friends.
What’s one small change that you can commit to this week?
Start right now!!!
Make the choice. Commit to the choice. Ask for help. Continue with courage.
Hugs and friendship,
Tara

No comments:

Post a Comment