Monday, December 28, 2015

So What? Now What?

So here we are. We decked the halls and then some. Christmas gifts opened. Friends and families visited. Traditions followed. Memories made. House a little messy (well mine is anyway). And possibly, it’s a slight possibility that we may have mildly over-indulged.  You know- just a little taste here and there, a little nibble, a little lady-like bite.  That last part makes me think of the book I’m reading that’s set in the mid 1800’s. I’m seated in the parlor, just setting up for afternoon tea. I’m fixing to have a dainty bite of scone. I’m the picture of self-control, demure even.  I’m wearing little white gloves. I’m appalled at the idea of eating so much that my corset might burst. So I politely nibble while mastering a rousing round of conversation.

That’s exactly how my Christmas calories were consumed, slowly, savoring each bite. Filled with self-control I was… Ok, let’s be honest. My Christmas calorie consumption was a little more along the lines of Fat Bastard in Austin Powers. OK, maybe not quite that bad, but you get the idea. This holiday season, I didn’t have to worry about bursting out of my corset because I was wearing yoga pants. And not just any old yoga pants, the special kind, the kind with the stretchy waist band that you wear when you don’t actually intend to do yoga. Unless it’s food related yoga poses like chocolate chip cookie to mouth- yes, let’s hold that pose for 30 seconds- until the chocolate chips melt- good, very good.

I went into the holiday week with great intentions. My intention was to remember that it was only a holi-DAY. Not a holi-week or a holi-month. I started the week strong. I tracked my eating, got in my activity. My goal was to allow for indulgences on Christmas eve and Christmas day- that’s it. But once I got a taste of sugar, I was like Buddy the Elf, all of the sudden sugar became my four food groups. I even had cake for breakfast because well…it’s filled with breakfast foods- milk, butter, eggs- it’s practically an omelet.



So here I am. My holi-day went into holi-days. It’s Monday. The get-togethers and left overs are winding down and it’s time to regain control of my eating. I’m happy to say that I’m tired of indulging. It was fun, for about a day. Really. I don’t like the way I feel anymore when I’m not eating right. I don’t like feeling tired and sluggish. I don’t want to take yet another nap to avoid reality. If you’re like me and you got off track…

Don’t –
do some crazy detox or fad diet.
self-punish or self-berate. It’s over. It was only a couple of days. So what?

Do 
set specific goals.
offer yourself some grace. It’s over. You made some not so wise choices. Now what?

It’s time to get back to basic goal setting and planning.  Let’s get to it:

1) Start with one small daily goal. I will *insert your goal here*.

2) Make a plan to change. To reach my daily goal I will change the following behaviors *insert your “I WILL” behaviors here*.

3) Make a plan to stop. To reach my daily goal I will stop the following behaviors *insert your “I WILL NOT” behaviors here*.

Write these down. Keep them in front of you. Take it one day at a time.  

Commit to the choice. Ask for help. Continue with courage.  
Hugs and Friendship,

Tara

No comments:

Post a Comment