Thursday, September 24, 2015

I Love Fall

Is anybody else reading this glad it’s back to school time? Being a working mother of two, I know that back to school brings mixed emotions for Moms, Dads and all caregivers alike. Me? I always tended to do the happy dance when back to school came around. Not to say that I don’t love my children as much as Beverly Goldberg (great show on ABC check it out). I love my schmoopees! I also love getting back into a routine.

Fall is such a great time to get back to a predictable wellness routine or to start a new one. Not just because of the awesome play on words “fall into a routine” but for many reasons. Let’s start with the weather, we get to leave behind that awful humidity and breathe in that crisp air. Each day as the leaves change we get a front row seat to the amazing beauty around us. It’s such a great time to get outside and get our bodies moving.  Fall brings to mind abundance and gratitude. As the seasons change, we get to experience a whole new variety of fruits and vegetables.  Nothing tastes better than a meal prepared from farm to table. What a cool excuse to go out and visit a farmers market and to support the local economy. I don’t know about you but Fall just reminds me how grateful I am to be alive, to be given one more day to do life with my friends and family.


When I was a Weight Watchers leader I used the season change to remind my members to take a pause to check in and see how their wellness routines were going.  It’s a good time to evaluate and re-calibrate. Since weight loss and overall wellness is a lifetime gig, sometimes we can get off track and we don’t even realize it.

As the season changes, I encourage you to take a look at the wellness program you are following. Is it working for you? Are you working it? I mean really doing the work? 

The list below is what I use as my wellness report card. They are the guidelines I use to keep myself on track. Yes, they happen to be the Weight Watchers guidelines and although I don’t work for Weight Watchers anymore, I do believe that the program is practical and doable for life. You may have your own guidelines to add/subtract, the important part is that you check in with yourself and see how you’re doing:  

·         (5) fruits & veggies
·         (1-2) servings of lean protein
·         (2-3) servings of non-fat/low fat dairy
·         Swap out processed foods for whole grains
·         (30+) minutes of activity per day
·         (6) servings of no sugar added liquids (avoid diet sodas if you can)
·         (2) servings of healthy oils
·         Multi-vitamin
·         Limit eating out
·         Watch your sodium & sugar intake
·         Be sure to have an occasional indulgence (key word: occasional)
·         Keep an eye on portion sizes
·         Keep a journal of what you eat and drink (no fibbing)

My kids call me the President of NerdCo and when it comes to school and learning, I don’t deny it. I love to learn, about myself, about others, about everything! I think that this love of learning has served me in my wellness journey because I want to get better. 

Not perfect, better.

Before the holiday chaos and deliciousness, before the New Year’s resolutions, take some time for you. Take a look at where you are and where you want to be, then put a plan in motion to make it happen.

There is no better time to Fall in love with being a healthier version of you.

Make the choice. Commit to the choice. Ask for help. Continue with courage.  
Hugs and Friendship,

Tara

No comments:

Post a Comment