Thursday, September 17, 2015

Awakening

It’s funny, when I started seeing a personal trainer back in May- I did a fitness assessment and as part of that assessment they asked two questions:

1) What is your biggest obstacle?
2) What is your level of confidence?

My biggest obstacle was patience. I want results and I want them NOW. My level of confidence was high. I had a “can do” attitude; I was psyched and ready to go!

Yet when I got to the gym I thought to myself- what am I doing here? Gyms are only for fit people. As I was talking to my trainer he said that’s one of the reasons people never sign up, because they wait until they are fit enough to do well. Isn’t that ironic? It’s like cleaning your house before the cleaners arrive.  I felt that way at church too, that I couldn’t lead or participate in a group because I didn’t have enough spiritual knowledge. I let that fear hold me back for years- ridiculous! Now I see that I am a work in progress. God is OK with that and that the goal is progress not perfection.

I was talking with a friend of mine about our weight loss struggles and she mentioned that in high school she used to be an athlete. I responded back that there is still an athlete inside of her; she just lost touch with it. That got me thinking, could I be an athlete? Highly unlikely as I was always more of an art, poetry, dance kind of girl. Yet I posted the word athlete to my vision board a few weeks ago.

If an athlete is a person trained or gifted in exercises or contents involving physical agility, stamina or strength; why can’t I be one?

Before I signed up at Passion for Fitness, I had many excuses as to what I could or could not do. I could not do squats due to bad knees. I could not do much arm work due to bad wrists. As I was working out on Monday- doing kettle bell squats, wall squats, planks, bar push ups- I had a little out of body experience. I was looking in the mirror thinking- who IS that girl? She’s doing everything she said she couldn’t do.


I wonder how many times you’ve stopped and started something because of a preconceived notion that you couldn’t do it. Or worse, have never tried something new for fear of failure.  

Have you ever tried something new because someone believed in you? I’ve been fortunate throughout my life that although I had some tumultuous moments, there has always been that one person who believes in me, who encourages me to just give it a try. This is why I like to invest in people, to show them their possibility and their unique gifts.

What would it take for you to try something new this week?   

What if I told you that you have an all-loving God who has faith in you? He’s your biggest cheerleader. He doesn’t care if you stumble, he’ll love you through it.

What can you do this week that awakes your soul? That makes your heart go pitter-patter with excitement?

Do that!

Take pride in how far you have come and have faith in how far you can go.

Make the choice. Commit to the choice. Ask for help. Continue with courage.  
Hugs and Friendship,

Tara

No comments:

Post a Comment