Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Portion Patrol

Many who know me wonder how such a picky eater like me was able to lose weight? Admittedly my food palette is quite basic and does not include many vegetables; although I am working to incorporate more vegetables into my diet. Last week I ate chicken vegetable quesadillas and left most of the vegetables inside. I also tried edamame, it was OK and I suppose I “might” eat it the future. And I tried mashed sweet potatoes yet again, I just don’t like the texture. While I am a picky eater, I truly want to choose foods that will fuel my body. Beyond making wise food choices, what has helped me time and time again is controlling my portions. So what’s a girl to do?
Invest in some measuring tools
Take a look at the bowls of cereal below. Bowl #1- is one serving of Cheerios. Bowl-#2- is two servings of Cheerios. By paying attention to the recommended portion size, one cup, and by following that recommendation; you could save yourself 100 calories, just at breakfast. If you follow this strategy throughout the day, imagine the savings. I used to fill my cereal bowl to the rim. Now I measure out one cup of cereal and I have fruit with it.  

Be an educated consumer
Manufacturers have become very slick in the portioning and packing of foods. Most recommended portions of cereals have gone from 1 cup to ¾ cup. If you’re not paying attention to these changes, you are taking in unintended extra calories. Those single serve bags of baked Lays that you think are a good option; there are two servings of chips in those bags. I’m not saying don’t eat the baked Lays, I’m asking you to be aware of what you’re getting in that package and make a choice on how much you want to eat.  That new Dove chocolate bar that looks like it has additional rows of chocolate deliciousness, it’s the same exact calories as the old single row Dove chocolate bar. The new bar is thinner than the old bar- extra rows, thinner bar, calories haven’t changed. As someone who has been tracking the portions of foods for years, I am amazed at the changes in food portioning and packaging. When you are shopping for foods, read the labels and be your be own best advocate.
Thinking about portion control reminds me of the Sponge Bob Hall Monitor episode. When Sponge Bob finally gets the chance to be a Hall Monitor, he decides to be the city monitor instead. He turns the city upside-down looking for this highly dangerous Open Window Maniac. I love this episode because Sponge Bob is chasing this maniac and as it turns out, it’s him.

When it comes to patrolling portions, we can be our own worst enemy. Slow down and pay attention to the amounts and types of foods you are taking in. Make your measuring cups and food scale your new best friend. Read the labels and beware of changes in packing. Take control of what you’re eating and don't let it control you.
Ask for help. Make the choice. Commit to the choice. Continue with courage.
Hugs and friendship,
Tara

No comments:

Post a Comment