Thursday, December 1, 2011

The Panis

This Thanksgiving, my sister-in-law Lydia enlightened me to a new term- panis. Lydia is a nurse and somehow we got on the topic of her overweight patients and their panis’s. According to the Urban Dictionary- a panis is an unsightly bulge that hangs over ones belt. There are more graphic definitions, but let’s just leave those to your imagination.
As we sat around gorging ourselves with Thanksgiving deliciousness, we heard tales of the items that Lydia has found stuck in her patient’s panis’s- a TV remote control, a half of sandwich. And while of course we were chuckling about it, obesity is no laughing matter.
The word panis has now become a visual weight loss cue in my vocabulary- why? Because I don’t want to have one. In my heavier days, I had one. You know, that lovely roll of lower belly fat that kind of spreads out and touches everything when you bend down to pick something up. Need I say more?
And while I did over-indulge this Thanksgiving, I’m still feeling pretty great. For the first time in a long time, I can say that I am content with how I look, but more importantly with how I feel. I’m still not at my goal weight, but hey, I’m just feeling SO much better. The weight is coming off super slow, but I am focusing on how I feel- mentally, physically, spiritually- and (most days) I feel fantastic.
Maybe this feeling and appreciation comes with getting older? The first time around on Weight Watcher’s, I was so goal driven that I forgot to cherish the process and my progress. You know, the whole “it’s the journey not the destination thing”.  And this time, I am just so appreciative that I even get to be on this journey. I am thankful that I have made the choice to take care of me, because, in turn, this helps me to take care of others. I am thankful that I can afford the Weight Watcher’s meetings. I am thankful that I have friends and family that support my efforts. I am thankful that I have work-life balance and a schedule that helps me do what I need to do. I am thankful that each day I have more energy to exercise and even more so that I enjoy it. I am thankful that God has given me a body that works and the wisdom to know I need to take care of it, because it’s the only one I’ll get.
And lastly, I’m thankful that I don’t have a panis (anymore). ;) Ha, ha!
Hoping that your Thanksgiving gratitude carries over into the Christmas season, I am thankful for you!
Ask for help, make a choice, commit to the choice and continue with courage.
Hugs and friendship,
Tara

2 comments: