Friday, December 9, 2011

Limitless Part II

Last Saturday, I rolled out of bed. I wanted to go to Weight Watcher’s, but I was cold and my bed was toasty and it was early (well early for me).  My bed was so warm and toasty that I got up late, forced myself out of bed and went to the meeting, as is.
I was already reluctant to weigh in, not only was it the week after my Thanksgiving indulgences, but I hadn’t been on the scale for four weeks. What can I say? Sometimes life gets in the way and boy do those weeks fly by. So I grudgingly faced the scale and I gained .8 pounds. Considering the circumstances, coming off a week filled with so many pieces of chocolate cake that I had to throw it away and not putting my best foot forward for four weeks, I wasn’t surprised.
As I sat in the chair, waiting for the meeting to start, I fought off the negative voices and replaced them with thoughts like “Hey, at least you came back and you didn’t give up. And usually after a holiday binge, it’s easier to just stop and say ‘I’ll try another time’”.  While I was sitting in my chair, giving myself a pep talk, a familiar face walked in the door.
Many months ago, there was a woman named R (keeping her privacy) that walked in and sat next to me. It was her first Weight Watcher’s meeting. She walked in using a walker, harrumphing as she sat down. R confided that she was really nervous that she wouldn’t be able to lose weight. She was limited to her walker and couldn’t exercise. She lived alone and didn’t have anyone to help her out and hold her accountable. After exchanging a few encouraging words at the end of the meeting, R and I went our separate ways.
Fast forward to last Saturday. I hadn’t seen R in a while because I switched meeting days and I could not believe my eyes when she walked in the door. She looked fantastic!! I was so overjoyed to see her success, R had lost 50 pounds. She moved from a walker to a cane when her doctor told her she would always need her walker. In addition she had reduced several of her medications.
I was SO happy for this woman named R, a woman I barely knew; she really inspired me.  It made me think about my Limitless post from a few months ago. R faced so many obstacles, yet she didn’t let them get in the way of her success. R persevered and her persistence paid off. Instead of putting up excuses, she put up results and week by week she has changed how she lives her life.
I love seeing these success stories happen right before my eyes at my weekly Weight Watcher’s meetings. Besides working toward my own goals, these real life stories really keep me going.
This week, I encourage you to break free from the limits you place on yourself and that others place on you. You will be amazed at the great things you can do!
Ask for help, make a choice, commit to the choice and continue with courage.
Hugs and friendship,
Tara

No comments:

Post a Comment