Thursday, December 1, 2016

November to Remember

I almost titled this one a November to Forget because as far as months go, I’m glad to move on from this one. Anyone who knows me knows, I’m always working on a plan or driving toward a goal. Perhaps it’s the Type A in me, but I like to believe that I’m mellowing as I age. My husband is reading this and laughing. OK, I’m somewhat intense. I like to be moving purposefully toward something. That doesn’t mean that I’m not grateful for the present, I work very hard to keep my mind present focused.

The month of November was going to be my breakout Beachbody program month. Oh yes it was. Insert the hallelujah chorus here. I had been anticipated the Core De Force workouts since the first sneak peek. Dating back to Tae-Bo (remember that one), I’ve enjoyed kicking and punching my way into fitness and I know it works, especially the core. So I jumped into the Core De Force workouts with vigor and eagerness. I knew, I just KNEW that this program was going to be my jam! And as my heart pumped and my enthusiasm soared, my right knee said- hells no. Sigh. Joy sucker.

I’ve been struggling with a knee injury since last spring, after 2 rounds of physical therapy and rest (only working my upper body and abs) I was feeling good enough to give this new program a try. But my knee doth protest. So I found myself visiting an orthopedist, getting x-rays and an MRI to see what the deal was. After ruling out a torn meniscus, I was treated with a cortisone shot for inflammation and we’re going to regroup in a month.

Now I don’t want to sound like a Whiny McWhinerson here but…whiiiiiiiiiiine! My vision of transforming my body using Core De Force…went to the shitter. (I try not to curse in my posts but sometimes it’s just needed). To add insult to injury, I’m in a Core De Force challenge group seeing how much fun people are having and how hard they’re working and what they get to do and I don’t.  I could be all woes me but I have to say that being in a Beachbody challenge group, being a part of Beachbody in general, it’s what keeps me healthy and focused, especially during the times when I can’t work at full capacity. The other day, one of my fellow coaches posted about just giving 1% more each day. That has really stuck with me. We all have our limits, both emotional and physical. Self-doubt, eating disorders, limiting beliefs, injuries, illness, family constraints, time constraints. But there’s something really incredible, really special that happens when someone believes in you, you begin to believe in yourself. And you start to focus on what you CAN do and forget about what you can’t.


My Beachbody family, they care about and encourage me. Most of these folks I’ve never met in person, but we’ve forged this kinship that comes from struggling and succeeding together. I have to say that the Tara of years ago would have just given up. I would have just given in and fallen back into my all or nothing mentality, well if I can’t workout at full force, then I’m not going to workout at all. And if I can’t workout at all, why freaking bother with my eating? I mean seriously. Those would have been my thoughts.

This new Tara, she knows that it’s more important than ever to focus on my nutrition. To control what I can control. To make the most of my present circumstance. So tomorrow I start ChaLEAN Extreme. I believe that I should be able to do the strength training for the most part with my knee. I’ll do what I can because I can. I’ll do what I can because people believe in me. I’ll do what I can because I believe in myself. I’ll give my 1% more and then some because I can. Because I’m still here, because I woke up today with another shot at this beautiful thing we call life. And I’ll call this a November to Remember because I didn’t give up. Instead of looking at what I can’t do, I am focusing on what I can.

Commit to the choice. Ask for help. Continue with courage.  
Hugs and friendship,

Tara

1 comment:

  1. Ok I think you wrote this for me! I needed a boost with this Severe Respiratory Infection no exercise. I'm going to kick ass with eating, and do yoga for my mind and relaxation! I got this. If I don't listen to the dr and my body I'll be stuck in bed longer. Thank you for always being here with that little push I need when I'm stuck. I really need to meet up with you when I'm healthy. I just really connect with you šŸ˜Š❤️šŸ’ŖšŸ¼

    ReplyDelete