Sunday, February 1, 2015

Control-Alt-Delete

Technology, it’s awesomesauce when it works properly, and when it doesn’t, its exasperating! I just love when you call a company for support, you’re on hold forever, you get transferred around a few times, and when you finally get a real, LIVE, person- they tell you to press Control-Alt-Delete.
What?!? A simple re-boot will fix the problem that’s been driving me ab-so-lute-ly insane?!? That’s taken up so much of my time and brainpower?!?

Lately I’ve been feeling like I need mental reboot. I’m heading down a path that’s familiar and unsettling. Between being stuck inside due to my neuralgia and not being able to exercise due to a foot injury, I’m in a bit of a mental funk. The scale is sliding upwards and I’m not at all pleased. 

There are a few things that can happen when we press Control-Alt-Delete:
  • The program that we need goes back to its default settings.
  • The program that we need is restored to its saved settings.
  • The program that we need is updated.

Amazingly, even after being a lifetime member of Weight Watchers for 18 years, I can feel myself slipping back into old patterns, going back to my pre-Weight Watchers default settings. Using food to comfort, getting that taste of sugar and wanting more, not measuring or tracking my portions, using my inability to exercise as a nasty little excuse to stop being healthy.

As a person who is addicted to food, the notion of backsliding into old habits is terrifying. It can happen to anyone. We all know people who have been locked and loaded on their wellness, they’ve lost the weight, they’ve kept it off for a while, they are in the zone- and then, they gain it all back. Whether  public figures or our friends and family.  As I was flipping through the channels the other night, I came across one of winners of the Biggest Loser who gained all of her weight back. How does this happen? One sneaky little pound at a time.

In general, I choose to live my life in faith over fear. Fear is an emotion that we create and have control over. I WILL NOT live in fear of gaining my weight back. I will take control of my wellness- right now!

Starting today, I’m giving myself a mental reboot. I’m pressing Control-Alt- Delete and it’s going to restore my positive outlook and energy. It’s going to renew my belief in myself and my abilities. It’s going to restart my wellness journey right where I am. I’m writing my own program. I choose to erase all failure-related memories. I choose to override a defeatist attitude. I choose to delete my bad habits and restore my good ones- because I have the power to do so.

I am not the old heavy tired Tara. I will not be the old sad depressed Tara. There is no old Tara. She has been long gone. She has been replaced by a women who believes in herself, who will shake off any feelings of discouragement, who is future focused and positive, who knows that she will move beyond this and many other challenges. 

I’m pressing Control-Alt-Delete to begin again, won’t you join me?

Make the choice. Commit to the choice. Ask for help. Continue with courage.   
Hugs and Friendship,

Tara

No comments:

Post a Comment