Monday, February 17, 2014

Olympic-sized Heart

In my previous post I wrote that I truly treasure being able to move more, and for the most part, I do. Yet there are weeks when:

·         I’m not quite sure when I will find the time to exercise.
·         I’m exhausted or not well.
·         I just don’t feel like it.

Last week was one of those weeks. I was sick for 3 out of 7 days and when I wasn’t sick we were over-scheduled with activities or I worked long days (10+ hours). So what’s a girl to do? How do I find my get up and go that seems to have gotten up and went?

I’ve heard some people say that “no-one can motivate you but you”, what do you think of that statement? While I do feel that drive comes from within, I also believe that we draw inspiration from all around us.

My first inspiration came when watching Alex Bilodeau, the Olympic gold medalist mogul skier, credit his win to his brother Frederic who has cerebral palsy. It was so beautiful to watch him grab his brother from the crowd and share his winning moment with him. After he won the gold, he talked about how lucky he was that he had the chance and the ability to go after his dreams. I love it when he says that his brother Frederic has the heart of an athlete.  In the video I posted below, Alex goes on to say “when I just complain it’s raining outside and I don’t want to go train. I’m just like what if I didn’t have that chance go train today? I have that chance and I will go.”

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qQgSNl84KAU

Alex’s words reminded me of my gift of good health, and how important it is to live each day with the knowledge of what it means to feel well, to do well, to be well.
After I saw their story, I wrote this reminder on my exercise board.


As long as I can- I will!

It’s there to remind me that I have the physical ability to move- to strengthen and nurture my body- to take care of my heart, lungs, brain. I have the ability to lift and stretch, to jump and run, to dance and leap. It’s my responsibility to take the best care of me. Response-ability. To be responsible means to be accountable for something within one’s power. I am responsible for my choices. If I want to be well, I can be.

My second inspiration came from a gentleman in a wheelchair at the YMCA. As I was watching my son’s basketball game, there was a gentleman in a wheelchair rounding the track for his exercise. He pumped his arms on that wheelchair for the entire time we were there. I thought about what it must have taken just for him to get to the Y. Navigating in and out of his home and his vehicle, or relying on a ride. Then making his way into the gym when we have 12+ inches on the ground and it’s hard enough to walk around on let alone to maneuver a wheelchair. I admire him having the courage to wheel around the track under the potentially judgmental eyes of others.

I watched several interviews with Alex and Frederic Bilodeau and it was interesting to hear both brothers use the word determination.

It reminds me that you don’t need to win a medal to have an Olympic-sized heart.

As long as I can- I will! Will you?

Make the choice. Commit to the choice. Ask for help. Continue with courage.
Hugs and friendship,

Tara

No comments:

Post a Comment