Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Stormy Weather

One of my most favorite parts of being a Weight Watchers leader is getting to know people and hearing their stories. Every week, I am reminded of the power of the human spirit- to survive AND to conquer.  I admire and respect the men and women who walk through the doors every week to face the scale, because it’s so much more than that. They are facing their fears, insecurities, gremlins. Every week, they take a risk, just by showing up.  They risk potential failure. To some, not losing after a week of hard work means they didn’t quite stand up to the task at hand.  Facing the scale, week after week can be a very trying experience. Their courage and endurance amazes me.  And as I say over and over again to my members, no matter what the scale says, the most important thing you can do is to never EVER give up on your journey.
The second piece of advice I give to my members (and myself) is to understand that this is NOT meant to be a perfect journey. It can’t and won’t be.  

Too many times I see members that join with the expectation of the arrow on the left, perfect weight loss. I’m going to work hard, really hard, and the weight is going to drop off. I am in the zone. Nothing and no one is going to stop me. I’m a weight loss rock star. I know this. I’ve got this. Watch me rock this program.  I’ll take a member (friend, family member) with a positive attitude any day of the week.  My concern with this approach is--- what will happen when stormy weather rolls around?
Reality is messy. We are not trying to take control of our weight in a utopian environment.  Every day, life sticks it to us. From the minor stressors like traffic, waiting in line at the grocery store, an incorrect electric bill; to the biggies like illness, strained relationships, divorce, extended families and death.
Life is demanding. We’re over- scheduled. At work we think of everything we need to accomplish at home. At home we think about everything we need to accomplish at work. And just when we believe we have it under control, another layer of complication is added.
Our bodies are complicated. Emotionally and physiologically we’re all wired a little bit differently. The way we act and react to the stressors and demands above differ from person to person. People view storms in different ways. One of my best friends LOVES thunderstorms, she sits outside on her front porch, pulls up a chair and enjoys mother natures’ show. Me? I’m absolutely terrified of thunderstorms. If one comes around when I’m trying to sleep, I put sheets over the windows so I don’t have to see any of the lightening. Yep, that’s what I do.  True story.
Weight Watchers (or any balanced wellness program) helps us to weather life’s storms.  It teaches us to change the way we look at things. Instead of covering the window with sheets, it encourages us to face the storm head on.
Having a balanced approach to wellness helps us to bridge the gap between expectations and reality. It shows us that we can succeed in spite of our circumstances, and sometimes in spite of ourselves.
It helps us to understand that some weeks we will lose, some weeks we will gain, some weeks we will maintain--- but ultimately, armed with the right tools and attitude, we WILL reach our goal!
Make the choice. Commit to the choice. Ask for help. Continue with courage.
Hugs and friendship,
Tara

No comments:

Post a Comment