Friday, November 4, 2011

Baggage Check

A few weeks ago during our Weight Watcher’s meeting, our leader asked the question “besides the scale, how do you measure your success?” There were a variety of great responses- more energy, taking less medication, able to exercise longer, able to play with my kids more, clothing is loose and just overall feeling better. Our leader talked about visual reminders of success. It’s a great way to notice your weekly weight loss successes, big and small; from a five pound bag of sugar to a ten pound bag of potatoes. The first time around on Weight Watcher’s, I lost 40 pounds. I was carrying around four large bags of potatoes, no wonder I was so tired all the time. This time around on Weight Watcher’s, the weight is coming off a lot slower. I’m fourteen years older and my priorities have shifted. Most weeks, after working very hard, my weight loss is .5 pounds. And that’s OK, as long as the scale is moving in the right direction.  
Think about the size of a one pound dumbbell, or a can of vegetables; although they may be small, they still take up some real estate and it’s a great way to visualize the smaller weight losses coming off your body. Last year, when I worked in an office, I used to carry a fabulous purple leather laptop bag. Because I had to walk from the car into the office and up two flights of stairs, I loaded that bag up. It held my laptop, work files, lunch bag, water bottle and so forth.  And let me tell you, that bag was hea-vy! Every day when I entered into the lobby, I was faced with a choice- walk the two flights of stairs, or take the elevator and every day (unless I was feeling seriously spunky); I took the elevator because the bag was so darned heavy. One night after work, I decided to weigh my laptop bag and it weighed eleven pounds!
Fast forward to today.  I have lost 22 pounds- two laptop bags! My visual reminder is my purple laptop bag. I was so tired carrying that extra weight each day that I took the elevator, it was really bogging me down. I wonder, what extra weight are you carrying on your shoulders each day? Is someone or something weighing you down? What can you do to lighten your load? And how can others around you help?
Ask for help, make a choice, commit to the choice and continue with courage.
Hugs and friendship,
Tara

1 comment:

  1. Tara, These are some great questions! I'm not exactly sure. In many ways, I have felt many burdens as this year has unfolded, but I know I still deal with stress as I seek to do things to perfection and as I seek to be the protector and provider for my family.

    ReplyDelete