Friday, September 28, 2012

Guatemala Reflection #4: Strength

Jamie Lee Curtis is currently working the talk show circuit promoting her new children’s book called My Brave Year of Firsts- Tries, Sighs and High Fives. The book is about a young girl named Frankie who learns about being brave by trying new things for the very first time. I haven’t posted about Guatemala for a while, yet the experience still sits at the top of my heart. The title of the book Tries, Sighs and High Fives is the perfect description of what took place at the job site in San Raimundo.
I witnessed so much individual bravery and strength in Guatemala. Combine that with incredible team work and God’s helping hand and we were an unstoppable force!  For some, bravery was simply setting foot on foreign soil, being surrounded by people that spoke a different language and followed diverse customs.  For others (including myself) it was the whole food thing. What on earth would a picky eater like me eat? Should I drink the water? Some people from our group were afraid of flying and getting on that plane in Philly was their first step out of their comfort zones. Several team members left their spouses and children at home; for some it was the first time they left their children. All of these steps required courage and I’m so proud of everyone for being brave to serve the Lord.

What really blew me away was the emotional and physical strength of the team. Our team was made up of all shapes, sizes, ages and backgrounds. Most of us weren’t very experienced builders (thank God for those who were). Before I picked up a hammer, I thought I was pretty handy. I grew up with my Pop-Pop who was a carpenter and I tinkered with him in his shop for hours on end. Yeah well, his skills didn’t clearly didn’t make it to me. The first day I started to help with the framing, my nails kept bending over. I got SO frustrated. Quite frankly, I don’t like to do things that I’m not good at (surprise, surprise some of you are saying). Thanks to the encouragement of one of my team members, I was a nail driving beast in no time.  
That week, I watched people who never had picked up a tool in their lives, learn new things, all to help a family in need. As the days went on, frustration turned to pride and self-doubt turned to achievement. I witnessed total strangers become great friends. I saw good people working side by side to accomplish a common goal.
I watched people tap into an inner strength that they probably thought wasn’t possible. It requires a ton of physical endurance to build a home in 3 days, yet there was a job for all abilities. I saw young people work harder than I ever expected, carrying and shoveling stone for hours on end with NO complaining. I watched as men and women pick-axed ground that was filled with solid rock until I thought their shoulders and hands were going to give out. I saw people up on roof tops cutting and measuring siding even though they had never done it before. Our team worked tirelessly to power through swollen knees, aching backs, migraines, blistered feet, inflamed muscles. And when I say power through, I seriously mean power through, the people I worked with gave until it hurt and then some. I am so glad I got to be a part of such an amazing experience, I can’t WAIT to (hopefully) go back next year.
We tried, we sighed, on occasion we cried, and when we turned that home over to that family, we high-fived! J
I’d like to take a moment to ask you to think about something you’ve been meaning to do, but you’re just not sure if you can. Close your eyes. Picture yourself doing it. You’re there! You made the choice to give it a whirl. Guess what? You’re succeeding! Why?
Because you can. Because you are amazing. Because you are brave.
You are stronger than you’ll ever know, unless you give something new a try.
Ask for help. Make the choice. Commit to the choice. Continue with courage.
Hugs and friendship,
Tara

No comments:

Post a Comment