Monday, September 24, 2012

Cupcake Bellyache

If you didn’t figure it out by now, I’m a sucker for all things sweet. Growing up, I was on a first name basis with Tastycake, Hostess and Little Debbie. When I was a little girl, my Mom-Mom used to cut up white powdered Hostess donuts into these delicate little pieces and she brought them to me on a TV tray.
And today, of course, I still love me some butterscotch krimpets. Especially after being in the refrigerator, that way the icing doesn’t stick to the wrapper. ;) But do you know what I love more? Being in control of my life and what I eat. I know that every time I eat, I have a choice and I can change my life, choice by choice by choice.
There’s an article in Weight Watcher’s magazine that talks about the fact that we make over 200 food decision each day. To eat or not to eat? Am I hungry or not? Maybe I’m just thirsty? Do I super-size it? Dressing on the salad or on the side? Would I like an apple pie with that? Should I have seconds?  Do I reach into the bread basket? Low-fat or regular yogurt?
What I love about Weight Watcher’s is that you can have your cake and eat it too. Sure, maybe not the whole cake, but a slice, why not? Tonight, I had two Tastycake chocolate cream filled cupcakes and I’m not ashamed. They were dee-lish! As a matter of fact, I made sure to lick any remaining icing off the wrapper. And hey, it’s OK. I’ve lost 34 pounds by making smart choices (most of the time). It’s about balance. Find a program or a strategy that lets you live your life, real life.
Real life isn’t about feeling deprived. It isn’t about being sad because you can’t have that favorite treat that you love. Real life doesn’t involve shakes, bars or the latest diet trends. In real life, who has time for an ONLY low fat, no fat, gluten free, dairy free, meat free, carb free, shake some chemicals on my food so I won’t eat it diet? Enough already!
How about eating real food that you enjoy in moderation? I know, that’s crazy talk, but it’s true. You have the choice, every single day to make smart decisions that will help you to take the best care of you. I’m not saying it’s easy, but it’s doable, achievable and livable. Imagine being able to live a healthy life, enjoying what you eat. That is the gift that Weight Watcher’s has given me. The program has taught me how to make wise choices, choosing foods that will fuel my body- fruits, vegetables, whole grains, lean proteins, reduced fat dairy. Real food for real life- allowing me to have some treats in between. Combine those wise choices with moderation, portion control, activity and behavior change and that’s a powerful equation for success! I’m not here to be an advertisement for Weight Watcher’s, there are other programs out there, find the program that works best for you.  
My boss used to say “at least fat people are always happy. It’s those skinny bi-a-tches that are grumpy all the time”. Of course I’m poking fun at something very serious here. My point? You don’t have to polish off the entire Tastycake box until you have a cupcake bellyache. It’s your choice to make.
Please, please, PLEASE remember that you have the choice to live your life in a healthy, balanced way. You are not powerless to food. You can make the change for life- real life, YOUR life.
Ask for help. Make the choice. Commit to the choice. Continue with courage.
Hugs and friendship,
Tara

No comments:

Post a Comment